Restoring Rusty Tow Chains

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilly826

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm in the process of restoring some old rusty tow chains. They have been sitting in buckets of vinegar for almost two weeks now, and are almost completely down to bare metal.

My question is, does anyone have an idea as to what I could use to coat the bare metal with!?

I don't think paint would work very well getting in-between all the links. I was thinking of just soaking them in diesel, oil would be real messy. Any thoughts?

In the Army we mixed oil based black gloss paint with gas, 50/50, dipped the chains, then hung them up to dry.

In the Army we mixed oil based black gloss paint with gas, 50/50, dipped the chains, then hung them up to dry.

Wow, never heard of such a thing. What is the end result? I would think there would be a ton of run off.

I heard the Army truck of dragging your chains through gravel/sand to clean them up, just didn't have the area to try it out on.

I use phosphoric acid to convert rust to a black stable oxide but I don't think it prevents rust.

Back