Sharp Chemical Smell in Room after 7 months Moving In

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jxu12

Reaction score
I first moved in to this all hard wood floor 2B apartment seven months ago. And I was dizzy in all the rooms at first, there was this sharp wooden chemical smell that runs through the whole apartment. The living room was the first one that became fine after airing it out for a couple weeks. And so is the other bedroom but that took a bit longer. The biggest problem I have is with the bedroom that I’m using it as my studio. I have been airing it out every day for the past seven months with buckets of activated charcoal, but there is still a terrible sharp chemically woody paint smell? I I had accidentally spilled hot candle wax all over one wall, and had to use a heat gun to clean it off the painted wall and the wooden floor. To this day that wall smells rather chemically, so the wall could be the culprit? There is only one new furniture since I moved in, a Seville 72inch rolling workbench with a wooden top. But I have place the wooden top recently outside of the room and the room still smells horrible. Can someone please tell me what to do please? No recent remodel and no mold spots. Any help is greatly appreciated! None of the hard wood floor had been updated with varnish too. In the process of moving everything out and determine what is wrong.

IMG_1574.jpgIMG_1576.jpgIMG_1575.jpg

Have you reported this to your landlord or property manager?
I just talked to her. She is going to send in her painter to take a look. I had initially held off because i wanted to figure out if airing out would work. In retrospect, I was dumb lol

Back