Should We Be Concerned? Discovered Large Tree Root Against House

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techie99

Reaction score
For several years we had a 50-square foot slab of concrete that had multiple cracks in it - cracks all the way through the slab. When we would get hard rains, we would get water in the downstairs den, just below the area of where these external cracks were in the slab. We assumed we were getting water in the downstairs den because of the cracks in that concrete slab, so we would plug the cracks (as best we could) with some kind of concrete caulking sealant every year or so to try and minimize the amount of water coming in to the downstairs den, and it seemed to help somewhat, but never completely prevented the issue. We've never had the money to have that slab removed and replaced until now. Today, the guys came to start the process. They removed the old slab, but we weren't home at the time. When we got home, we were looking at the area and noticed a huge tree root growing against the side of the house (pics attached). Now we are wondering (ok, very fearful) that this root has damaged the foundation down below to the point that THAT'S the reason we get water in the downstairs den, and it really had nothing to do with the cracks in the slab. What should we do? What would you do? Is it worth having a "foundation expert" come take a look at this when we already know we don't have the money to pay for any kind of foundation repair, and honestly never will? I don't know what happens in situations like this. Need guidance. There are 2 pics below, one of the entire slab area and one is a close-up of the root. I should also mention, if it matters, that this is coming from the 60-foot 'silver maple' tree in the front yard, about 25-ish feet away from the side of our house.

Attachments

• tree root 1.jpg
    tree root 1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 12
  • tree root 2.jpg
    tree root 2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 12
Welcome.

The root may have affected the waterproofing membrane, so I would call an arborist 1st, and ask the affect of removing that section of the root.

I would most definitely cut it out. That small of a root will not effect the health of the tree.

Back