Sill plate hovering 1/2 inch over foundation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decades

Reaction score
While inspecting rot to the band joist under the front door, I noticed a 1/2 gap between the sill plate and concrete block foundation on the one side wall. The other walls look normal in that the sill plate actually sits on the foundation. So, from the basement I felt all along the top of the 2 X 6 sill plate under the fiberglass insulation the entire length of the foundation. Found no anchor bolts. Thats not going to look good to the inspector should I ever try to sell this pig. Any ideas on what I should do, if anything? Had the house built in 1987.

sill plate 2.jpg sill plate1.jpg

The first picture shows the foam gasket between the sill plate and the block foundation. Totally normal. There will be gaps between the plate and the block walls (or poured concrete) as these are not totally smooth things. As to the lack of anchors, at one time in non seismic and non-hurricane areas it was pretty common. Not sure when that changed in the code, I'm no expert in that area. The weight of the house structure and gravity are going to keep the house in place as it has done for 35 years absent a serious earthquake or hurricane. Both of which are exceedingly rare in Erie.

You could use spray foam to close the gap between the sill plate and the foundation if you're getting air infiltration there.

Thanks for the reply. Was shocked to find the foam gasket just free floating between block and sill on the entire length of the west wall of the house. That wall supports the girder under the floor joists but not much else I believe.

Thanks for the reply. Was shocked to find the foam gasket just free floating between block and sill on the entire length of the west wall of the house. That wall supports the girder under the floor joists but not much else I believe.
So the floor joists run parallel to this wall? That's what it looks like. Without weight on the plate and no anchors it doesn't surprise me it isn't tight against the foundation.

If you can feel any wind along that side some can foam will help a lot. That area against the sill can also be a cold spot for the basement and most around here stuff those two sides with fiberglass and then cut small pieces of fiberglass and put in each bay on the other two walls.

Might help the heating bills a little.

So the floor joists run parallel to this wall? That's what it looks like. Without weight on the plate and no anchors it doesn't surprise me it isn't tight against the foundation.
Yes, the floor joists run parallel to that wall. Thanks for your input starting to understand it now.

If you can feel any wind along that side some can foam will help a lot. That area against the sill can also be a cold spot for the basement and most around here stuff those two sides with fiberglass and then cut small pieces of fiberglass and put in each bay on the other two walls.

Might help the heating bills a little.
I never really noticed wind coming in there but will know to check for it now. May have to put some foam in there as you say. It has fiberglass insulation on top of the sill against the band/rim joist on all the walls. Thanks for your input.

What is the exterior cladding/siding material?

It looks like your floor is uninsulated from the basement, and the basement walls are uninsulated. Is the basement unheated?

What is the exterior cladding/siding material?

It looks like your floor is uninsulated from the basement, and the basement walls are uninsulated. Is the basement unheated?
Exterior is vinyl siding with Celotex insulation under that. Basement is unfinished. Floors and walls uninsulated. there is some heat going into the basement but not much. There is one heating duct down there, see its closed.heat duct.jpgheat duct.jpg

upon further review, the sill is resting on the concrete block foundation, kind of. the sill has just turned up on the side facing out and was not nailed good to the band joist. Just general poor workmanship. Not noticing a breeze but will still insulate that gap. Thanks everyone and sorry for this inaccurate post.

A four dollar can of foam may save you ten dollars a year if it keeps the cold out of the basement!
One of the things we are not very good at in the US is saving ourselves! We are short on oil and the price of fuel is going up! But if we look at WHY natural gas is getting high, it is just greed in some cases.
We live near the Permian Basin where oil is pumping heavy, when the price goes up enough to open the new wells. Right now they are loving it!
With that increased oil pumping they get so much natural gas that storage is full!

The solution to having too much natural gas to store? They burn it off in flaring!
Burn it off rather than give it away so they do us in on both fronts. More air pollution as well as never going to have that gas to heat a house on the East coast!
Possible the human race is too dumb to survive?

Back