Small Wall Bulge above Door Jamb

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lehmanswb

Reaction score
Wall Bulge.jpg I have a small bulge in the wall up and right of the doorway. I can't tell if this is an issue under the wall (maybe a framing joint bowing out?) or if the previous owner poorly repaired a crack and didn't sand it down properly. It protrudes about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch and paint isn't cracked. any ideas? Image attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's bulging out that far, I'd have to say it was repaired that way. If the wall moved that much, there would be a crack. Still doesn't address the original cause though. If it were mine I would be tempted to fix it properly, then see if it holds. if that failed next thing to do would be to dig into the wall to find the root cause, but then you have more to put back together. If you have access, you could always go up above and see if there's anything out of the ordinary going on.

Welcome to the forum.

How old is your home? Is it drywall or plaster?

I don’t think it is any major issue. If you don’t want to live with it you will have to dig deeper into the problem. I would start with a putty knife or some kind of a blade tool and cut out that section and see what is behind.

It will be fairly easy to patch and for sure will look better.

Back