Software to draw a plan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
I want to draw up a simple plan showing my homes plumbing. Anyone know of FREE software to draw up that kind of thing? Thanks.

I spent 44 years as a designer starting out even before that in high school doing drafting on a drawing board with a tee square and triangles. The early years of my professional life was before CAD and we used huge drawing boards and drawing machines. When CAD came along I started in with the first 2D systems and by the time I retired the 3D tech was totally amazing.

There are some amazing free or not to expensive things out there the problem is most people don’t want to spend the hours learning the software.

One I used to recommend that was a simple 2D that could be learned in an hour or two was called DeltaCad. I used to even see where you could buy it on a dics for 10 bucks. Last I checked they went out of business but you may still be able to find a download for it if you search.

Another that I have downloaded and is free is called QCAD and I haven’t played with it much, but looked like it might be an option.

There are some others that are web based and I haven’t tried. I normally like something like CAD to sit on my laptop and not have to work over the web. Many people are ok working that way.

In my job when I retired I used a program called AutoCad Imventor. What a great product and pretty complicated at first. There is another version called Fusion 360 and it can be downloaded for free for certain groups that are not using it for profit like students and home. I’m not sure what the current price and restrictions are but I had it at home and it would do just about everything my work model would do. If you want to get serious about CAD it is what I would suggest.

Back