Sound coming from wall

Help Support House Repair Talk:

mypaldino

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here. Hoping someone might be able to help me. I have what I can only describe as a Geiger counter sound coming from the wall immediately next to my kitchen sink. It isn’t always there nor is it non stop when it happens. Intermittent.

I have shut off the main breaker. Still there. Don’t think it’s bugs because I have put a stethoscope against the wall and I don’t hear much and I don’t have any other insect symptoms. Also doesn’t seem to matter if the AC is on or off or if I’m running water or not. I’m at a loss. It might be close to my main plumbing vent but other than that I have no idea. Help!

SFLman

Reaction score
Have you recorded the sound on your cell phone? There's boiling (or rather water heating), gas escaping, or grinding which could cause a sound like that. Seems that it would not be a little animal, or it simply would have moved on.

SFLman

Reaction score
I googled "grinding noise inside wall" without the quotes. Lots of people with the same strange issue. For one person, on windy days, there was piece of the gutter downspout vibrating in the wind. For another, a gas meter regulator was broken and needed replacing.

Be sure to let us know what it is if you figure it out!