Staining nightmare - bathroom cabinets - UGLY

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiehelp

Reaction score
Help! I have ugly bathroom countertops and the wood was looking horrible so I thought I would stain. Stain is too dark and the bottom cabinets look bad as well. Behind the backsplash looks like that because former owner put in clear caulk around the backsplash and underneath was green due to former color.

So, I need advice. I want it to look updated but at the same time, I can't spend too much money. Some people said paint it but I don't know what color and what part to paint. Other people have said restain it all.

Then I have looked on some websites that suggest that you can redo the counter tops by taking a sander and putting apoxy (maybe not that) on top of the current counter top that would make it like new. Then I can decide on painting the rest a new color. I am a newbie so really need something easy as well.

Help

img_0278.640.jpg

img_0279.640.jpg

img_0280.640.jpg

img_0281.640.jpg

img_0282.640.jpg

Personally, I would replace the wood back splash with a slightly taller vinyl one. Make sure you sand off the old caulking. If you want the cabinet lighter, sand it down and start over. Practice (even though sometimes annoying) does make perfect.
Best of luck

Welcome Newbie:
You could start by removing the caulk around the backsplash. Then paint the backsplash and cabinet in a pearl white, leaving the fromica countertop for contrast. It would brighten the bathroom and make it look clean and new. I know it would take a lot of preperation but spray paint would look best, using an enamel. The doors and drawer fronts could be taken outside to paint them and the frame would not be such a problem. Consider a Wagner airless spray.
Glenn

Back