Staining Pine

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by jep108, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1

jep108

jep108

jep108

We plan to stain our newly installed pine porch (replacing pine that was very damaged). We tested a Sherwin Williams water borne stain and it did not take well. I have since heard that pine does not take stain well. Is there a stain product that is particularly good for pine?

I have also heard that oil based stains can eventually have mold problems. Is this true?

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Oct 1, 2011 #2

BridgeMan

BridgeMan

BridgeMan

I've done a fair amount of staining of pine wood, and have always preferred oil-base products over water-base. Never had a mold problem, either. A very good line of products is made by MinWax. Lots of colors to choose from, and I think they even make a sealer for outdoor applications. Used a water base stain on a picnic table/benches once, and it started flaking off within a year. Too much like a paint, not acting like a true stain.

I did an entire room with knotty-pine tongue-and-groove 1 x 6 stock, MinWax Puritan Pine color, installed at a 45 degree slope. Looked great for the 5 years I owned the place, and the buyers mentioned it was the main selling point in them wanting the house (along with the arched brick/stucco surround I built for the wood stove).

3. Oct 1, 2011 #3

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

And...all the stain in the world will be no good, if you do not treat every cut with a preservative. Wood absorbs water at the end grains, these need to be treated even more than the face or back does.
    I stay away from Thompsons, seems to not last as long as a good eurathane.
    Good luck,