Stapling electrical wire triggers sparks

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by pressureseal, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. Jun 24, 2008 #1

    pressureseal

    pressureseal

    pressureseal

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have just finished the wiring for a room in my house and was putting in the last few staples to hold the wire down. I didn't think to turn the power off while doing this. While pounding in a staple of a wire going into a switch box, the switch box threw a series of sparks and the power off of the switch went out.

    My question is, what exactly caused this to happen? My wiring in the switch box seems to be solid. Whites and neutrals twisted together tight and locked into pig tails. The wire ends to the switches are wrapped around solid. Could this have been caused by a small spark from when the hammer hitt the staple? The electrical switch wasn't screwed into the box so could it have bumped into the box by the shaking and returned via the neutral? Any theories?

    My main concern here is that I have done something wrong with the wiring. I have a permit and am having it inspected but would still like to be relatively certain I don't have a dangerous setup here.
     
  2. Jun 24, 2008 #2

    kok328

    kok328

    kok328

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Messages:
    2,755
    Likes Received:
    249
    Sounds like that last staple pierced or crushed the wires inside the casing. Pull that staple back out, inspect and repair your wires. You'll probably have to replace the switch/outlet and reset the circuit breaker (after all repairs have been completed).
     
  3. Jun 28, 2008 #3

    speedy petey

    speedy petey

    speedy petey

    Lic.Electrical Contractor

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2006
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    44
    No because:





    THIS is your problem. The switch shorted to the box. It did not "return" on the neutral. The box should be bonded to the ground wire.


    WHY the hell were you working with the power on????
     
  4. Jun 28, 2008 #4

    kok328

    kok328

    kok328

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Messages:
    2,755
    Likes Received:
    249
    My Bad!

    I didn't think about those metal boxes in residential. I'm industrial, so I'm ashamed that this escaped me.

    Probably because, I wrap electrical tape around the back of the outlet or switch to cover the exposed lugs.
     
  5. Jun 28, 2008 #5

    glennjanie

    glennjanie

    glennjanie

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2,990
    Likes Received:
    4
    Haven't we all had a little zinger from wiring a divice hot? I sure have had my share.... stupid, I know. It can be a heart stopper and should never be the practice of an electrician. Step 1. turn the power off and check to be sure its off with a meter.
    Glenn
     
  6. Jun 28, 2008 #6

    shan2themax

    shan2themax

    shan2themax

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2007
    Messages:
    310
    Likes Received:
    8
    I learned my lesson also.... :eek:
     
  7. Jun 29, 2008 #7

    triple D

    triple D

    triple D

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2008
    Messages:
    296
    Likes Received:
    1
    When the device is screwed in, even just a little bit and wiggling, it's hard to short out screws on device to the box unless they are not screwed in to device. If you don't see where the screw sparked on box, maybe you had the switch on, and shorted with a staple, the switch leg, this could cause a switch to throw sparks. Just another two cents, as always good luck.....
     
  8. Aug 1, 2008 #8

    pressureseal

    pressureseal

    pressureseal

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    You guys were correct. The switch wasn't screwed down so when I was nailing in the staple, the pressure must have been just enough to pull the hot side to the box and ZAAAPPP!
     
  9. Aug 2, 2008 #9

    COMP

    COMP

    COMP

    Member

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    you are lucky
     
  10. Aug 5, 2008 #10

    frodo

    frodo

    frodo

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2008
    Messages:
    3,066
    Likes Received:
    1,196
    i was hooking up a kitchen sink once, and the wire to the disposal was hot
    and buzzed my ear. the electrican on the job apolgised, after i stoped chasing him.
     

Share This Page