Storage for nails, nuts and bolts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New poster here, I see this thread is older, but I would like offer a tip.
If you're worried about glass breakage, I would suggest applying a layer of clear packing tape to the outside of your jars. If the jar gets dropped & breaks, the contents may or may not spill, but if completely taped up, the jar glass should remain contained, and you should be able to pick mit up without fear of losing a finger. Hope this is helpful.

Another great idea. Thank you and welcome to the Garage Retreat!

See Post 15 pics

I will say and ask you all to verify when you start getting your stuff organized you will find things you forgot you had.

Am I right? Have you done the same thing and what did you find?

I just spent the last few months slowly cleaning out my garage and getting rid of many many things I haven't seen in years.

I just spent the last few months slowly cleaning out my garage and getting rid of many many things I haven't seen in years.

Hey Chris, Did you find anything you could use and had forgot you owned? I did find several things I had to buy another because they were "lost".

IMO: Organization is a good thing that is often overlooked due to time restraints but it can sure save time in the long haul.

Tools and parts organized help your project move ahead.

View attachment 019.JPG

View attachment Labor Day 2010 070.jpg

View attachment Labor Day 2010 051.jpg

Yes found lots of junk I could have used. For several years I kept holding onto things because I figured I would use them some day, not junk at all just stuff for future auto or home work. After a few years I had so much crap I couldn't find or forgot what I had so I said screw it I am getting rid of everything I don't have a use for now and not a crazy expensive item.

I gave away a two car garage worth of stuff and old tools to friends and strangers and trashed even more. I went through all my regular tools in my box and made up a set of two of every wrench and one shallow and one deep socket in every size and got rid of the rest. I was tired of digging through 50 different sockets to find the one I need.

It has been pretty clean for the last few weeks and is much easier to work on stuff with room and cleanliness. I still have some more to go through and get rid of but it is manageable now. My goal is to not have anything sitting on the shelf that does not get used.

From your picks you must be a jeep guy? What kind of jeep?

Good observation Chris. Was it the YJ interior door handle?

Didn't even notice that till now, it was the hood hardware kit for CJ/YJ, body plugs and the front tow bar mounts.

l. I also remember a friend's dad using baby food jars with the lids screwed on a 4" x 4" which spins, so you can easily select the needed nails. I have considered this idea, but using mason jars for a bigger capacity, but worried about glass breakage.

So my question to you other affectionados is, what ideas have you come up with for multiple nail box storage? :confused::confused:

A simple preventative to broken shards of glass is to wrap the (any size/type) jars with clear packing tape. If one gets broken, the glass is contained, and the contents can easily changed out to a new jar. This also allows you to see what is in the jar to help select the correct nail, bolt, nut, washer, cotter pin, or widget bearing as needed. :rockin:

l. I also remember a friend's dad using baby food jars with the lids screwed on a 4" x 4" which spins, so you can easily select the needed nails. I have considered this idea, but using mason jars for a bigger capacity, but worried about glass breakage.

So my question to you other affectionados is, what ideas have you come up with for multiple nail box storage? :confused::confused:

A simple preventative to broken shards of glass is to wrap the (any size/type) jars with clear packing tape. If one gets broken, the glass is contained, and the contents can easily changed out to a new jar. This also allows you to see what is in the jar to help select the correct nail, bolt, nut, washer, cotter pin, or widget bearing as needed. :rockin:

Back