Sudden low voltage from electrical outlets?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same problem. My bathroom outlet and 2 outside outlets quit working and were registering approx. 89 volts. the rest of the load araes such as lights were working just fine.
I traced the problem to the GFI outlet in the other bathroom. all I did was reset it and then everything came back to good working order. I suspect maybe someone in my household may have triggered the fault and when they pushed the reset button it didn't get pushed all the way to where it clicked. figured I post this result in case someone else has the same issue and can save some time by checking and testing all the GFI's that may be on the circuit in question

If you are right you should be able to do it again and prove it.

You are absolutely right but if I was able to make it happen again, that would indicate I should replace the GFI anyway so I just replaced it. I might add that this is a manufactured home with the less than desirable outlets that pop open on the back and the wires just slide through a metal pinch plate that cuts through the insulating jacket to make contact. I am upgrading them all to standard outlets.

Back