Sump Pump Issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude415

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Something weird happened with my sump pump and I'm trying to figure out how concerned to be/what the issue could be.

I went to the basement this morning and found a portion of it was flooded. After some inspection, it looked like the sump pit had overflown. The first thing I though of to do, for some reason, was to jiggle the pipe that takes the water from the pit out of the house. As soon as I did this, the sump pump kicked on.

Does this mean there may have been some kind of clog in the pipe that was knocked loose, or that it somehow got knocked out of position slightly? Is it likely the problem is fixed now?

It sounds like the float that turns the pump on was stuck.

It could be a one time thing or it could start sticking from time to time. If you can remove the cover and use a hose to fill it a few time and watch what it does would be the way to figure it out. Sometimes I have seen a free standing pump get twisted or moved out of location and the float hits the side of the tank. Other times things get built up with silt and jam.

That's what I was hoping. I've had to fix that issue on my mother in law's sump pump before so I know that's not the hardest thing to fix. Was just worried I wasn't missing something more serious that was indicated by the pipe movement affecting it. Thanks for the answer!

Back