Telephone Wiring - Phone Jacks Not Working

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using Magic Jack for awhile also. Mainly for my electrical business. My cell phone area code was not from the area I moved to now and if people saw my listing online with an area code 4 hours away it would make them think I am not in this area.

I had no problems with Magic Jack and yes they are very inexpensive compared to what my local cable company wants for hardwired phone system. They want 3 times more per month than Magic Jack charges for the entire year. I found it to be very reliable also. Oh and the big bonus was no wiring issues to deal with - all VoIP.

More Magic Jack features from an email this week:

• Get voicemails in email. Included with your active service! Get a complimentary email with a .wav file attachment of your voicemails to your email address. To turn this feature on log in to your magicJack account. Then go to “Call Features”, click the “Voicemail via Email” link and add the email address for your phone number.
  • Take the magicJack device with you. Stay in touch with friends and family even while you’re traveling during the holidays.
  • Receive calls on-the-go. With magicApp, magicJack’s FREE companion app, you’ll never miss a call*. Calls to your magicJack device will ring on your mobile simultaneously! Download for iOS and Android today. Simply log in using your magicJack account credentials.

Hi all. Can you please tell me how I can keep my phone number secret when I communicate with other people?
No hope, it's an arms race between hackers & security people, but some entities will be glad to humor you if you cross their palms with silver.

Speaking of silver, good luck in finding a payphone.

Hi all. Can you please tell me how I can keep my phone number secret when I communicate with other people?
Some entities such as women's shelters pay their phone company to block caller I.D. on all outgoing calls...

Or as Jim suggested, try dialing star67 before dialing the phone number... test that by calling a friend with Caller I.D. to ensure it works on your phone system...

When I built my house I ran military surplus field telephone twisted pair wiring throughout the house. When I went to DSL I told the tech what was there and he said it should work fine. He gave me a handful of filters and all is well for about seven years now. If I went to MagicJack I would have to somehow separate the wiring for phones to be on MagicJack.

Last edited:
Back