Tesla wiring or no

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WasVilla

Reaction score
So my buddy calls me over to his house. He abandoned his AC unit and wants to use the 220VAC 50A setup to run power to a Tesla charger. He ran the #6 wire in conduit for the 14-50 NEMA receptacle in the garage. BUT, when he got to the disconnect he could not figure what to do. The picture shows his problem ... The 14-50 receptacle needs two power legs plus a neutral and a ground. The service into his disconnect has two power legs and a neutral but no ground. I'm not sure what to tell him. What is the answer?

Attachments

• TESLA BOX.jpg
    TESLA BOX.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 11
Welcome.

Purchase lengths of white and green conductor, some pull lube and use the existing white to pull the new conductors.

Stranded copper make neat crafts.

you didn't mention what diameter conduit is there. need to check conduit sizing chart to see what (4) #6 wires requires.

Is the conduit metal? Is it continuous to the panel? If it is then the conduit is the ground.

Is that picture the AC box or the disconnect. It could also be that the AC does not need a neutral and there is not one in the AC box.

Answer was simple. Test box to see if grounded (yes). Add ground lug to box. Attach hot leads, neutral per normal. Connect green ground wire to ground lug. ALL GOOD.

Back