The "What did you do today thread"?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got new tires on my truck yesterday and today taking my dually down for new tires. Been looking for a couple cows for my property, hopefully I can find some soon, my weeds are taking over.

Cows won't always eat weeds. Mine eat around them. But, maybe it's because I only have two and they are spoiled/picky from getting sweet feed.

Out in an area like that, there are probably some livestock auctions. Ask around about it and see if anyone knows about the auctions.

Goats will trim weeds down better than cows BUT, as you've already noted, they can be destructive. That is why some people tether them so they can only go in certain areas. Mine were contained in a fenced in area and we could lock them in the goat pen in the barn if need be. But, they still ate the paint off of the barn and workshop and the bark off of the trees in the area they were in.

I took advantage of a memorial day sale and got mom to register for a military discount at Lowes so there was an additional 10% off of the sale prices. We got some new doors for the house. I used her tablet to show her pictures of the back door and how messed up it is so she realized it really needs to be fixed and I actually got her excited about the renovations.

While in the store I stopped to explain how to determine door handing to an elderly man. I had to explain it 8 times before he finally got it.

I also made my first attempt at sauteed mushrooms on the induction burner. I used a little bit of olive oil along with the butter and it turned out great. I brought them over to a friend's house for D&D night and they went fast.

I'm still trying to figure out the right heat level and time for scrambled eggs. I made some with the sauteed mushrooms for Mom and she liked them.

Tomorrow I'm hoping it will stop raining long enough for me to examine the threshold for the back door to see how bad the water damage is and figure out what thickness plywood I will need for the floor in that area.

Then I need to get Mom to pick what color she wants me to paint the back door (I know it will be blue, but I need to get her to pick the specific paint chip). Trim and other stuff is going to be white.

I have two prehung doors to paint down in the workshop. Which reminds me that I need to get some LED shop lights because the current lights won't turn on. I may need to replace some stuff in the breaker box down there (barn and workshop have their own breakers separate from the house).

Went to take Mom to for a checkup at the doctor. My brother's dog (who was supposed to be tethered because he attacked the chiweenie) had gotten out of his collar. He started jumping on me and tripping me and caused me to step on the side of my foot and torque my ankle. It's my right ankle so I wasn't able to drive. Mom let me use her cane to get in to the doctor's office. Nurse practitioner came out and wrapped it for me and they didn't charge anything. Kept it elevated the whole time. So the elevation and bandage helped enough that I was able to carry in groceries (rode around in the riding cart with my foot up on the basket). Got an ice pack tethered to my foot with the bandage for now. I have to remember to keep flexing it. Doctor told me to flex so the Achilles tendon won't tighten up. A least this means Mom won't be waking me at 3:30AM to ask me to make her eggs and toast (like she did last night). LOL.

I built a goat enclosure today for our new goat friends.

I built a goat enclosure today for our new goat friends.

Awesome!! Do you have any pictures?
Also, make sure to keep up on getting the goats wormed. They die very easily if they aren't wormed regularly. We learned that the hard way.

If you have any old tall logs or stumps for them to climb on, they love that stuff. We used to have some stuff set out in the yard for ours to play on.

My ankle is better today but I have a bad stomach bug. I think it was something I ate but am not sure. But my guts do not like me today.

I forgot to mention-- please make sure the enclosures you have for the goats don't have any gaps large enough for them to get their heads through. Goats are notorious for getting their horns stuck in stuff if they get their heads through. We had to add chickenwire to a lot of our fences after the goats got stuck a couple of times.

Already done, we have had chickens for a few years now. This house came with a coop built to match the house with its own power meter and septic. 10k chicken coop.

Sounds like you ought to research opening a fried chicken restraunt up there in tater country. You could raise your own chickens and taters for fries. Get some of those 3 legged chickens cause everyone like chicken legs the best...that's if you can catch them...

Looks great! I bet they will have fun with that!
And I see you have the good fencing that they can't get their heads stuck in.
Adorable little critters.
What kind of chickens do you have? I had whatever kind they sold for 4H almost 30 years ago. Grew to be big fatsos and had huge eggs.

Wish you were in my area because I still have a very large brooder box in my barn that is just wasting away. It was one my father built and had heated lamps to keep the chicks warm.

Not sure on the goat pellets, but some people will buy cow dung to use as fertilizer. Or you can save it in old feed bags and till it in with the soil for a garden.

If you have any gardening questions, I can ask my uncle. He's a Master Gardener (I don't know if that means he got a degree or something, but people from all over ask his advice and he grows gardens at the assisted living community he lives in).

I lucked out on fencing here. I have six pastures, three have that fencing you see and two have the 5 row high tension wire for cows and one has 5 row barbed. I just need a couple more gates and I will be set.

Got 3" of rain in an hour last night. Waiting for a similar storm tonight.

My A/C has been on all morning long. I'm not going to like my electrical bill this next month.

My A/C has been on all morning long. I'm not going to like my electrical bill this next month.

Heat index 100 t0 105 today. Supposed to get hot tomorrow.

I lucked out on fencing here. I have six pastures, three have that fencing you see and two have the 5 row high tension wire for cows and one has 5 row barbed. I just need a couple more gates and I will be set.

Excellent! The kind of fence pictured is very good. We put up that kind along with a piece of barbed wire (because our horse was a jerk and would push down on the top of the fence if we didn't) at the top. That's a lot of work on that fencing. I helped my father run about 900 linear ft of fencing out here. With those metal posts you can't just use the hog rins (U-nails). Have to get the metal wires with looped ends and use the looping tool and make sure you don't overdo it when you twist them and accidentally snap them (I did that a few times until I got the hang of it). But you probably already know that. LOL.

What kind of gates are you planning to get?

I've been trying to recover from the stupid stomach bug. I think my brother brought it home. He's been sick- sick enough that they had to send him home from work the other night. His boss wasn't happy about that, but he couldn't keep an employee that was throwing up so loudly the customers could hear it. He was particularly unnerved because the idiot boss had scheduled my brother as the ONLY employee there after 8pm. So, he would have had to get things out of the proofer, take the orders, answer phones, deal with dine-ins and wait tables, make the pizzas, put them in the oven, take them out of the oven, cut them, box them, put them in the warming bags, made sure they got to the right people, filled drinks, and at the end of the day he would have had to tally up the money, close out the register, sweep & mop the floors, break down the make table, wash all of the dishes, prepare the dough and pans for the next day, put them in the proofer, and close the place up. Basically it's a 5 person job and he was expected to do it alone for the next several hours (the place closed at 10 but dine-ins often stay an hour past closing and then it takes a few hours of clean-up after closing sometimes). As it was, the boss had to call in 2 employees to cover for him for the rest of his shift.

Meanwhile, I've decided to stop taking care of my brother's dog. I'd been giving him heartworm medicine and so forth, but my mother told him he either needs to keep the dog tethered at all times or he needs to re-home him but he's refused to do either. So, I'm just done taking care of the dog for him. It attacks the other dogs and has injured me a few times from knocking me down and it just isn't my responsibility. I already have the elderly dog that can barely walk to take care of. I had to actually carry her in to the vet's office yesterday and they had to carry her to the back to give her a bath. She can walk, but she is slow and she doesn't always agree to go where I'm trying to get her to go. Fortunately, she's lost weight and only weighs 43lbs now.

My mother's little dog has been waking me up. He didn't follow her to her room the other night so he couldn't get in. He came to me and sat on my head and woke me up. I woke up with dog butthole on my forehead. LOL. So I took him to her room and went in to the bathroom to wash my face.

Gas at the local Walmart is $1.79. Have not seen it that low for a long time. Was over $2 a couple weeks back.

Latest posts

Back