The "What did you do today thread"?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove down to my MILs because she was upset with the guy building her deck. Read the contract, he did exactly what was in it and did a great job. Wasted day.

well, at least she called you. 30 years ago, my mom was having her carport redone and a roof put on.
i stopped over after work. and saw where the carpenter did not use 2 20' 2x12 to span the garage. he used a 2x10 scabbed in the middle.

i looked up, told my mom. that aint gonna work. he needs to redo it correctly

my mom, to my amazement, said he told her it was AOK...that way.

i just said ok and left.

20 years later the roof sags at that spot. my mom asked me why i did not tell her it was wrong.

i said i told you it was,,you ignored me.

she said..WELL, Why didnt you tell me again!!!

Sure beats throwing photo albums on the laps of guests.

I bought a new bar fridge to replace my wine fridge outside. Yeah, I like wine, but red wines. Having a huge fridge for 1 bottle of white wine, then throwing a couple cases of Coors Light all willie nillie just doesn't cut it. it also only had red or white temperatures settings in the wine fridge. Now, I can control to 37 degrees and have really cold mountains on my beer cans.

what did you pay? just saw this on another forum

FOR ALL YOU WINEAUX'S OUT THERE: Magic Chef 44 bottle wine cooler. Great cooler, great condition. Model MCWC44DZ with two separate cooling areas which can be adjusted to whatever varietals you desire. $140 MSGO price in Jackson. Can take credit card.

img_2323-jpg.15648

Yeah, that is nice but try to stuff 2 cases of beer in there. It ain't gunna happen.

My new fridge only gets down to 42 degrees. If the manufacturer can't tell me how to get it colder, it's going back to Costco and I will continue my search for true blue mountains on my Coors Light.

Use a deep freeze with an electronic temp regulator use for brewing beer, you can set it to whatever temp you want.

Today I drove to La to pay a bill then to one of my jobs to catch another contractor using my tractor to do their job. He said he would fill it up with gas for me. I said okay then he asked if it takes regular or 2stroke so I told him not to bother. Don't need my diesel blowing up by someone putting gas in it.

I did get a call on the way home of a customer that wanted to pay me, I thought great but we just finished the job today. I got there and he handed me cash money for the job. That doesn't happen every day.

I always try to pay my contractors the day they give me the bill. in fact this last time the guy I had do my tile, his wife happens to be a waitress at our favorite restaurant. she was the one who told me he is working on his own now. anyway she told me she would get him over to do my tile right away. and he came over that weekend and did it, we paid him with a check the day he finished. then the next time we were at dinner and she was our waitress I gave her 50$ cash tip in addition to the tip for our meal for getting him over there quickly. I always think that when someone does good and timely work, it never hurts to leave them thinking you are a good customer. there may be a next time when I need help right away.

I do the same. I take care of people that take care of me.

Today I drove to La to pay a bill then to one of my jobs to catch another contractor using my tractor to do their job. He said he would fill it up with gas for me. I said okay then he asked if it takes regular or 2stroke so I told him not to bother. Don't need my diesel blowing up by someone putting gas in it.

I did get a call on the way home of a customer that wanted to pay me, I thought great but we just finished the job today. I got there and he handed me cash money for the job. That doesn't happen every day.

I get cash for a lot of jobs.

Lucky!.....I don't have to wear roller skates though.....

I don't like seeing 3am, especially when I don't have to work til 7. The joys of being a business owner.

Yep, it's called the grind. Been there, done that.

Now I wake up and have to spend at least an hour trying to decide whether to go to the movies, or help a friend install a patio cover.

Or...maybe work on the garage.....

Or nuthin!

Must be nice. My guys had the day off so I decided to start my entry gate project and more walls.

Don't forget pics for us folks.

I'll try. I am searching pictures to see what style of gate I want to build.

Swing away or roll sideways? Are you going to have it power open? I'm also looking for a new iron gate. I like a thick edge, not too ornate of foofy, manly and strong. I also like the option of adding the PVC phony wood inserts vertically within the iron gate. I saw one locally that is very simple but beautiful, but I can't find the pics of it now. I also like this style of gate pictured below.

View attachment stock-photo-black-wrought-iron-entrance-gates-to-rural-property-with-trees-and-sky-in-background.jpg

I know I don't have a vote, but I like the idea of the square stone columns. Make them out of the same material you building the walls out of. A much bigger footprint than just a 4X column. My 2 cents.

The 4 x 4 steel is just to hold the gate. There will be large stone columns and walls coming off of them, it will all tie together when I am done. The steel will be inset in the stone so you don't really see it but it will give a good backbone. I have been looking at some options for wood combined with steel for a gate. only problem with wood is that it is heavy. I am thinking of recessing some redwood into the lower couple feet and then steel on top.

View attachment gate.jpg

Latest posts

Back