The wrong way to anchor fence posts in concrete

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fence post holder, on one hand can erect wood post, meanwhile it's protect the post from corrosion, and replaceable if necessary. The real usage as follow:
www.hsmetalproduct.com/product/post-anchor

fence-post-spike.jpg

Is it your intention to hang around and offer suggestions when people need help or are you just spamming us?:D

I don't understand using concrete to set a fence post, all my years on the farm we never did. Did not have any come out of the ground that were put in properly, even ones that had a gate hanging off it did not move. Guess people now days just don't know how to tamp the ground so the post does not move or don't want to put forth the effort.

See my photos attached, this is my situation. Two fence post are rotten at the base, need to be replaced. One attached to the wall, the other one will hang a gate. But these two posts are closed to the gas meter, and already located that gas pipe is under. Depth of post will be a problem for the one that hangs the gate. Any good suggestion in this case? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20210807_131318.jpg
    IMG_20210807_131318.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Fence Posts.jpg
    Fence Posts.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 5
I know that my father probably didn't sink the wooden fence posts deep enough. I think he only dug about 2ft down but I can't really remember for certain. They posts didn't come up though, but they rotted above the ground level (even though they were pressure treated) and broke off. Some came loose and can move but didn't come up.

Back