Thermostat wiring question + AC not coming on

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Boren

Reaction score
Ok I am actually having the same issue as this thread.

https://www.houserepairtalk.com/threads/thermostat-clicks-but-nothing-happens.21163/

Starting with the thermostat so I am trying to bypass it. That thread said to pull the red and yellow wires and cross them to see if the fan comes on, but my red wire is a jumper between RC and RH.

Anyone have any input on which ones I should cross to test the thermostat?

Already checked fuses and tried plugging the unit into another power outlet. Also my outside unit trips a fuse a couple of times a year for the whole 15 years we have been in the house, but this is a new problem. The thermostat does click when it is on auto and I move the temp down, but nothing happens with the unit itself.

View media item 1869

Ok so I figured this out by looking at the control board. That blue wire goes to R on the board so i bridged RC and Y and nothing happened. Still going off that other thread and checking other things. Not finding a fuse on or near the control board, but still looking for one. Any tips would be much appreciated.

View media item 1870

Ok checked for voltage between R and C on control board while activating the door switch and got nothing.

Now looking for transformer.

Will update when I find it.

Even when you turn off the disconnect switch, the circuits can still contain electricity. Be carful if you are going to be touching any of that stuff.

We need to take each case separately. I believe yours is a heat pump unit and those wire up a little differently than an A/C unit. You have a splice somewhere in your thermostat wires, check those connections and let us know which color converts to which color between the unit and the thermostat.
We can go from there once this splice is checked.

Back