Through-wall doors for recycling bins

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quattro

Massive Tool Belt
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I have another project I'd like to start on this summer.

Our house has an attached garage that shares 1.5 walls. Near the door connecting the hall with the garage is a small closet. We currently put our paper recycling in this closet, and our glass/metal/plastic bin just outside the door in the garage. In the winter, opening this door to put a bottle in the bin lets out a significant amount of warm air...and the same for cool air in the summer.

My idea is to create a "pass-through" door in this closet that is spring-hinged and sealed with foam gasket tape. The concept is pretty simple. Create a rack in the garage on the other side of the closet wall, and place 1 or 2 recycling bins on the rack...about 4 feet in the air (the garage floor is 20" below the main floor of the house). Cut a hole in the closet wall, and finish off the exposed edges. Then create an insulated door that swings out into the garage, mounted on a spring hinge so it closes automatically. It could be sealed with some wide strips of foam gasket material (~ 1/4" thick).

Stuff falls into the recycling bin, and air/heat loss is minimal. Paper mess in the closet is a thing of the past. Everything looks good, right?

Any other ideas? Does something like this exist pre-built?

Thanks!

But somebody has to give you the regs.:eek:
The issue is with putting a breach in the fire wall between your house and the garage.
When you have this hole...you potentiality can get Carbon monoxide into the home, and if there is a fire you will have another issue.
I hate being the safety police...but just so you know it may also void your homeowners insurance if something should happen.
I have horror stories with insurance companies...and will not work with them anymore. Leaves a bad taste for everyone.;)

Just make sure the company mentioned does not have this issue and is fire rated.

As InspectorD mentioned the firewall, I was reminded that insurance companies and building codes are very up-tight about the firewall between garage and living space.
When it all goes wrong, the insurance company will be looking to lay blame on someone. Don't let it be you!

Dangit. I knew there was a reason not to do it. Well, crap. There goes my great idea for the year!

Thanks for pointing out the rules, guys.

Back