Tiny suite in extension

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobys

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought my first house, and I'm very new to all of this, but we're beginning to make plans for some things we'd like to do.

The house has an extension which is about 11'x11', and basically just a box which is currently laid out very poorly.

I'm wondering if it's possible to build a small bathroom (corner shower) and tiny (twin-bed sized) bedroom in a space of that size. Has anyone seen plans for anything like this?

The legal requirement for a bedroom in my county is 70sqft, so it seems theoretically possible, I'm curious if it's actually workable.

Thanks so much!

Is there a closit in the room now?
A full bathroom is going to take at least 5' from the outside wall leaving only
6' for a bed.
Also is there any pumbing and drains near by, if not then that will be one big stepping stone.

I've been in a few war time houses that had small bathrooms and bedrooms. Like Joe said 5 ft is about min. and a lot depense on the layout of windows and doors. If you can use all of an 11ft wall you could build something like 8ft be 3 ft inside with a door toward the center. 36" shower at one end and toilet at the other end. That would leave 30" for a sink facing the the bedroom at the end not enclosed. Use duct tape to lay out the floor plan and see how it looks. Remmember the walls usually are 4.5" thick.

Back