tips wanted

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzn57

Reaction score
going to enclose patio, two sides are part of the house, (stucco)
so want windows on one side 36x84 window (s) , and door and window on other side, 10ft opening.

plan on french door, (no slider) and window, faces north, so no direct sunlight,

security , weather tight are concerns,

looking for suggestion on flashing, sealing, and outside siding,
probably T111, or handi board. or?

thanks

Hardi board. Be sure to put on a vapor barrier and tape the frames. Caulk all seams to stop air intrusion.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dC3_0srY0Rs[/ame]

Why not stucco? Probably won't cost any more than the others and you can watch them work.

hate the "added on look"
when stucco doesn't match,

past house has to re texture as it was obviously added on,

yes, he said he was skilled, but never said skilled at what.

that guy is very thorough.
but, its done right

There are no short cuts when it comes to preventing moisture intrusion. I see so may problems by hacks who have no idea the damage even small water leaks will cause. Weatherization from water and wind will never be easier than when you are in the construction faze of a project. Having to go back and demo, replace rotten wood and repairing is a lot more intensive than proper procedures in the beginning. Just my 2 cents.

If not Hardie Board, which is great stuff, there is stuff called Celect (Bing it) for siding that's really nice. It's not cheap, but it's incredible quality, IMHO.

celect-grotto.jpg

Celect%20-%20Pottery-%20Windham,%20NH%20094_Ret%20ld.jpg

Celect%20-%20Pottery-%20Windham,%20NH%20187%20ld.jpg

It looks much better in person, if you're able to get to a real-deal building supply place and not a big-botch store.

Also, I can advise you if you are interested in doing something fancy like an overhead door instead of windows/French door

image-%2814%29.jpg

modern-kitchen.jpg

It brings the outdoors in a bit. Creepy kid in the corner not included.

Back