Toilet issue

Help Support House Repair Talk:

house92

Reaction score
For the past 3 days, my toilet almost overflows in the evening but no other time.
I’m away at work for about 9 hours, but it flushes normally in the mornings and fine for the first few times when I get back home. At some point, I will flush, and it almost overflows but slowly returns to a normal water amount in the bowl. I can flush a couple more times, and it returns to normal. What could be causing this back-up just on occasion and not all the time?

house92

Reaction score
I solved my issue. My septic tank was put in during the 60s. It’s about 25 feet from the house. I dug it up, and the line was clogged with roots where it empties into the tank. I cleaned it out best I could, and it’s working fine now. I now plan to use root treatment regularly.

Sparky617

Reaction score
You might want to replumb the line from the house to the tank with PVC. Tree roots have a tough time breaking through the plastic pipes assuming all the joints are completely glued. I don't put a lot of faith in the tree root treatments.

femgroup

Reaction score
Yep, you had the drain problem the whole time, it just took time to fill up. A quick shower and toilet usage didnt do the trick in the morn, but after repeated flushings, clothes washing, dish washing and showers in the evening, the total volume finally overwhelmed the capacity of the piping, and it started to rise in the toilet closest to the outflow.

Group Builder