Too much time on hands!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by bud16415, Apr 6, 2019.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Apr 6, 2019 #1

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

I thought I would start a thread for others with to much time on their hands and doing a project you could easily do without. Haha.

As a retire, and I know we have a fair amount here, and just enduring a Northern Pa winter I just needed something to fiddle with outside. About 2 weeks ago we lost a neighbor Glen (95) WW2 vet and part of that greatest generation. He lived two doors down and we became friends over the last 6 years. Last week I saw his son over to his place and I went over to say hi. He asked me if I wanted to buy any of his dads junk in the garage as he had to have the property cleared out in 6 months (reverse mortgage). Glen had bought a new lawn tractor last year and his son said half price what a new one would be. Sounded fair to me and I have little need for a 22HP mower but I thought it would be cool to have. So I drove it home and he threw in a 4’ lawn sweeper I also didn’t need.

Holly got home from work and said Oh Gawd what did you do. She then reminded me that we have a quarter acre and half of that is house and garage and driveway. Thinking fast on my feet I said it’s not for cutting grass I’m going to build a wagon and take her two nephews on hay rides Colton and Jaxon. Jaxon is 2 and calls me Uncle Buh. I had this Harbor Freight Big Foot hand truck I got on sale for 39 bucks about 6 years ago and I have a spare to boot. https://www.harborfreight.com/mater...00-lbs-capacity-bigfoot-hand-truck-62900.html So I fired up the welder put a tang on it built a PT box and painted it JD green. Just the right size for two little kids. Of course in the back of my mind I will likely haul other stuff around.

With the wheel way back it backs up nice.

I still have to add a yellow strip down each side and a few reflectors sides and back.
    As always total cost of the wagon zero as it was all stuff i had laying around.

Ok now show me stuff you all built you really didn’t need but had fun doing.

JD Wagon.JPG

Angie and Eddie_T like this.
  2. Apr 6, 2019 #2

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Last couple months I've been stuck in neutral. Can't get the motivation to really start any projects. We just got back from a week in Florida with the camper and my better half decided it's time to take out the old carpet and vinyl flooring and replace it. So...yesterday we picked out some news flooring, order two new recliners, I started taking things apart inside. Old chairs are out, removed the dinette, involved the couch. Now I'm ready to start taking out the flooring. Guess I'm in forward motion now. 0405191637.jpg 0609181114.jpg

3. Apr 6, 2019 #3

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

0609181115a.jpg

Now I just need to get a couple son in laws over to help...

bud16415 likes this.
  4. May 9, 2019 #4

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Spring is here and I cut down a tree I always hated under the power line and they come thru every year and chop half of it away. The little trailer came in handy hauling all the brush away and now I have some wood for our fire ring. I can almost taste the hot dogs now. IMG-8807.JPG

inspectorD and oldognewtrick like this.
  5. May 9, 2019 #5

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Couldn't get any helpers, so, it was all me... All done and ready to hit the campgrounds. 0418191200.jpg

inspectorD and bud16415 like this.
  6. May 9, 2019 #6

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

0507191421.jpg
    Next project, fabricated some rod holders and outriggers for the kayak.

bud16415 likes this.
  7. May 9, 2019 #7

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

I'll bet that carts a lot faster with that racing stripe on it.

8. May 10, 2019 #8

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Road Trip!!!

9. May 10, 2019 #9

havasu

havasu

havasu

Love the floors in the trailer!

10. May 10, 2019 #10

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

It's not faster but the little nephews think it's faster. It is all about having too much time on your hands and unused JD yellow. The camper floor looks great. really changes the look. :)

11. May 10, 2019 #11

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Thanks y'all! It seems twice as big inside. Could never understand carpet in a camper. Especially after we took it to Florida last month...

12. May 24, 2019 #12

AdamAll

AdamAll

AdamAll

Thanks for sharing this. Looking forward to that stage of life where I have more time on my hands. At my present stage between work, family and community commitments I don't have a lot of spare time, but I'm still enjoying this stage of life while I can.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  13. May 24, 2019 #13

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

4588.jpeg 0522191043.jpg Got a phone call from someone I know about a cupola. So...took it off the roof, rebuilding the base, doing some restoration and going to try and get it back up on the roof and not kill it or me.

14. May 24, 2019 #14

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

@AdamAll Welcome to the forum. I remember those days all too well working 6 days a week and coaching little league and trying to remodel a house and groom a two acre lawn and it seemed 100 other things. Then you retire and kids grow up and you get a little break in the action but then my knees wont work as good along with a lot of other body parts. We watched the two little boy nephews yesterday 2 under 2 and the older one just over 2 was really entertained as he rode around the neighborhood in the homemade trailer behind the JD.

You will get to the point of time on your hands but you are right in not rushing it. enjoy every day you get has always been my motto.

@oldognewtrick That looks like a fun project all except climbing on that roof. When we got the new metal roof last I took the center chimney down and covered the hole. Something like that would have been perfect and functional also. The neighbor has one and he made it with a light in it. really stands out at night.