Traffic

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm been sitting on my couch all morning laughing at how the traffic is stopped solid everywhere this morning. So far we have received 2 1/2" of rain, which is about what we received all year last year. Sure am glad I just put on a new roof and rain gutters. Everything is dry and draining perfectly.

Coming back from San Diego this morning I past three new accidents in 15 miles of the straight highway.

That would be neat except with how many we have there would be no road left.

Everybody forgets the road conditions change when it rains especially on the first day when oil floats to the surface.

around here the tires they run on the hoopty's are called maypops.

no tread and may pop at any time. when it rains they slid around like a pin ball machine

I don’t know what the first day of rain feels like because that happens a couple times a week here. But the first day of snow is always pretty fun. People live here for their whole life and forget to put the winter tires on until we get a hard snow. Then you go to the tire shop and they are working 24-7 for a week with people bitching they cant get tires. Then you have the drivers that slow down to 15 mph first snow and the other ones still thinking its summer doing 75mph by the end of the winter the 15mph people are doing 75 and the 75 people are all looking for a new car.

I was working in Colorado. i drove over the uncompahgre , Dallas Devide, everyday at 5am and 5 pm

one day, the road was snow packed, I was going to fast at around 40 mph in 4 wheel drive. when a corola passed me.

up ahead the road turns "switch back" I see the car go straight, the rod turned, AIR BORN.

I slowed down and stopped.

They were ok, car was stuck in 10' of snow. So I let them sit in my truck with heat running till cops showed up.

YEP, new tires every year. slow down, 4, 90lb bags of quickrete over the rear axel.

I would warn about putting anything in the back of the truck loose for winter weight. If you do sand bags for traction or soil like SNS suggested is best. I see people around here with bricks and blocks for weight. Two dangers are weight shifting in an emergency and weight flying in a collision.

I built a 400 pound steel weight bumper that is attached to my rear hitch receiver for plowing. Many advantages, one the bed is free to haul things, two the weight is as far back as it can be counteracting weight of the plow, three the CG of the weight is low, 4 the lower bumper prevents you riding up on a snow bank when backing up, and number 5 is that massive bumper backs people off your butt and if not and they slam into you they cant dive under.

I have been working in San Diego lately. Traffic is not half as bad as going to la.

I have been working in San Diego lately. Traffic is not half as bad as going to la.

Half as bad would put you just about at the awful point then? Half as bad for me going to work would be seeing 3 cars instead of the normal 6. I’m only traveling 30 miles though. ;)

I do but I have a plane pilot buddy I like much more and would actually fly with. Chopper guy scares me in a car.

Back