Trimming fence boards

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I am building a fence and the fence boards are higher than the stringer between the posts. I want to trim them to the height of the stringer without gouging the stringer.

I personally would leave them a little high. Chances are your stringer is not perfect and you will notice the dips more than if they were up there a half an inch.

HMMMMM, maybe measure and precut the boards to length?????????
If you're following the ground with the bottoms, I'd find it easier to install them and cut the tops even afterwards. But there is always more than one way to do things so you do you.

HMMMMM, maybe measure and precut the boards to length?????????

I did. The ground is uneven. Also, some parts of the fence are going up a slight uphill. So, the little bit sticking up ad one end of it is a problem.

Clamp/screw a board to the fence the width of a plate on your circular saw. Use that as a guide to keep your saw right at the height of the stringer board.

That might work well. I'll do it to a small part so that if I screw up, the replacement is minimal.

Back