Unfinished drywall in garage - Chalkboard paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kareen23

Reaction score
Hello!

Quick question(hopefully):

The house my wife and I bought 4 years ago has sheetrock that was installed backwards on one wall. She would like to paint it with chalkboard paint and I was wondering if I needed to prime it beforehand? She still believes we need to tear it down and replace it, but I have to believe that much work won't be needed. Please tell me that's correct, haha.

In any case, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome.

In a garage I would say it is up to you. the paper on the back of the sheet is not of finished wall quality, but who really cares. I would primer it with Kilz 2 primer and then paint it how you want. Blackboard paint is going to be dark and will smudge up easy, but go for it.

Worst thing that could happen is you wont like it and then you dont have to take it down just put another layer over it the right way.

I'd prime a section and see how it works with the final coat. If you don't like it, you could cover it with wallpaper underliner. This is a heavy paintable paper used to smooth out walls for wallpaper. It will bridge minor gaps, like the lines in paneling. Paper it with the underliner, then prime it and paint it with blackboard paint. I wouldn't tear it out, especially in a garage.

If you go the wallpaper underliner route, hang it horizontally. It probably won't matter one way or the other though. If you were wallpapering after using it you run the underliner horizontally and the wallpaper vertically so the seams don't line up.

Last edited:
Back