Vinyl baseboards suck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
After epoxing my garage floor recently, I needed a baseboard just for the drywall which the garage shares with an adjacent bedroom. I didn't want to deal with gluing up several 4' sections, so I purchased a continuous length vinyl, which has a peal and stich back on it. Well, after investing all this time on the pretty floor, that vinyl just sucked. I rolled it up and returned it to Home Depot for a full refund (I said it was too thin and defective). I found some wood plank porcelain that was about $1.50 a linear foot, purchased a quart of ready set mastic, and purchased two tubes of haystack color latex caulking. I slapped up the tile in one day, then the next day I taped and grouted, pulling the tape immediately after grouting, so it had a fresh, clean edge. Here is the before and after pics...

View attachment 20160208_125201_resized.jpg

View attachment 20160214_101707_resized.jpg

Looks good and I agree that vinyl crap is crap.

Exactly how I like it.

Vacuums also suck.:D

Seriously, the only way to put up vinyl base is to glue it. The peel and stick is never good.

I also hear the 4' sections are much thicker, but noting would have made the joint tight from water except the added tile.

Well, I was thinking of using the vinyl peel-and-stick, but I won't bother now. LOL.
Thank you.

Very nice garage, btw.

I saw some crazy flooring on a website-- some sort of vinyl sheet that looks like the diamond plate steel that they put in a garage somewhere. LOL.

That is slick looking Joey.

Back