Vinyl Corner Bead adhesive

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky617

Reaction score
I'm trying vinyl corner bead on a couple of outside corners on my basement project. In watching a few videos on YouTube about it they recommend using Trim Tech 847 or 3M Super 77 spray adhesive along with staples to secure it to the drywall. I installed one strip last night using 1.25" pneumatic staples and no adhesive. It was before I watched the videos. Looking online, the local Lowe's carries neither of the mentioned adhesives. Anyone try another adhesive? The one I put on last night seems to be solidly attached between the mud and the staples. Skip the adhesive? A couple of the YouTube videos show it just being stapled with 1/2" staples which would only staple it to the drywall, my pneumatic staples would get into the framing, though you really need to scale back the air pressure to keep from shooting through the vinyl.

3M 90 says it is good for drywall and plastics, though doesn't specify what types. It is in stock at my local Lowe's.

Last edited:
I don’t know about that product and have used the plastic bead when I built my curved archway. I put that up with drywall nails.

Just curious what don’t you like about the metal stuff. I have used it for years and it has always worked great?

I don’t know about that product and have used the plastic bead when I built my curved archway. I put that up with drywall nails.

Just curious what don’t you like about the metal stuff. I have used it for years and it has always worked great?
The drywall compound can crack between the metal edge and the wall. Adding a strip of tape at the seam can help on this. I actually prefer the paper faced but it wasn't available in 10' lengths that I need. On most of my inside and outside corners I'm using this. https://www.lowes.com/pd/BEADEX-Brand-100-ft-Corner-Bead/50012438

I was looking to go in person and pick up. So I was looking at what was in stock at Lowe's since it is the closest store to me. They are only 2 miles from my house. Given some of the videos don't mention using it, and a few do, I'm wondering if it is essential or it is a good practice to do it but not required. I may just go with the stuff that is in stock at Lowe's that is good for drywall and plastic. I'd think if it was essential Lowe's, being one not to miss out on a sale, would have it right by the vinyl corner bead.

I agree with hands-on purchases, because I'm like that.

Some of the methods I've used in the past, do not require a mech. attachment, from different adhesives and the product held in place with tape, until dry, to also using a hair dryer or heat paint stripper to smooth out twists and wrinkles and bows.

You find a way to be smarter than what you are working on.

I picked up some Loctite spray adhesive last night at Lowe's. It says it is good for paper (drywall is covered with it) and plastics. It didn't specifically mention Vinyl as one it does or does not work with. I haven't had a chance to try it. The piece I just stapled up seems to be stuck to the wall really well with one coat. I need to hit it with a second coat, which I may do before I try the other three pieces. I do find it a bit easier to work with than the metal. All the perforations give the compound more places to bond to the drywall than the metal bead. One of the drywalling videos I saw had some corner bead from down-under that was metal and more of a mesh to accomplish the same thing. The guy using it really liked it, but it isn't widely available in the US and likely not in Canada either since we share most building materials between the two countries.

For someone that doesn't drywall for a living, this product is great for inside and outside corners. https://www.lowes.com/pd/BEADEX-Brand-100-ft-Corner-Bead/50012438 Much easier to get a nice crisp inside corner with little fuss with this. On a per foot basis it is cheaper than the paper tape sticks they have for inside and outside corners. At $15 for 100 feet a 10' corner is only $1.50 where the sticks are $4.50 which seems insanely high. Not bad if you're only doing a corner or two, but for a whole house it would be pretty pricy.

AHA! I mistook vinyl to mean an applicated product as a protector, not as a framing product, and sorry, I'm old school and will only use the metal corner bead, and tape for the inside corners.

AHA! I mistook vinyl to mean an applicated product as a protector, not as a framing product, and sorry, I'm old school and will only use the metal corner bead, and tape for the inside corners.
I've done it all ways over the years. I don't do this for a living and I look for ways to make it easier. The rolls of corner bead I linked above make doing inside and outside corners a lot easier. I've seen a lot of metal corners crack, it may be from not using enough screws or nails, or maybe using the crimping tool instead of nailing or someone bumping into them. I'm not sure.

This is what I'm using for the corners in question. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dietrich-Metal-Framing-1-25-in-x-10-ft-Vinyl-Corner-Bead/3084579

I have always had good luck with the metal outside corner bead nailed up and then i use a strip of the mesh tape down both sides extending out past the flange and onto the wall board. Then mud.

Latest posts

Back