Wall cracks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoBab

Reaction score
Good morning!
So I have a 3 season cottage that was basically built on a rock many years ago.
Here in Manitoba our temperature varies between -30 F to 90 F.
Most of my rooms are covered in ceder planks, however, at least one wall in each room is just painted drywall.
Since the cottage shifts constantly throughout the seasons, cracks in the uncovered walls are inevitable.
I need some advice on what I can cover these walls in that will hide the cracks once and for all.
At first I thought wall paper might do the trick but because this place is only heated by wood stove while I am there I would think the glue would freeze and give in the winter time. Plus, if the drywall cracks, likely so will the wall paper.
Then I stumbled on what I thought would be a genius idea of putting wood paneling on the drywall. 4' x 8' sheets. I have seen some paneling that looks like white brick which would work well with all the wood on the opposing walls. However, I can't find a store that has more than a sheet or two in stock. They all claim these products are being discontinued and can't bring any more into stock. The price is outrageous at $60 - $90 per sheet.
Does anybody have any ideas on what else I could use to cover these horrid walls? Or maybe where I can purchase paneling at a reasonable price and with a generous selection?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JoBab

It is hard to know another’s tastes, but I will suggest beadboard paneling in sheets or in strips. It can be painted or stained and finished will give a texture to the wall and will allow for shifting.

Welcome to the forum also.

It is hard to know another’s tastes, but I will suggest beadboard paneling in sheets or in strips. It can be painted or stained and finished will give a texture to the wall and will allow for shifting.

Welcome to the forum also.
Thank you for the suggestion but headboard paneling would be difficult to fit to different size walls. You can't easily just cut an inch or two off to fit a certain room. Plus, i'm sure the price on this would be much more than regular paneling.

Thank you for the suggestion but headboard paneling would be difficult to fit to different size walls. You can't easily just cut an inch or two off to fit a certain room. Plus, i'm sure the price on this would be much more than regular paneling.
Beadboard / Beaded Planks come in a 6 pack and cover 14 sq ft for $20.

I have put them up with liquid nails as wainscoting and trimmed the edges.

Without knowing your budget and area to cover along with what your style/tastes run it is hard to suggest things.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4457137337189863940?lsf=seller:8740,store:7219677919269325705&prds=oid:17294832169202041509&q=beadboard+packs&hl=en&ei=LlWvXODhKeX45gKYpJ_gDw&lsft=gclid:CjwKCAjwy7vlBRACEiwAZvdx9irBZAJUnOAzTNcXEqHU56hcijbiScVRX1NWQ3XHGsAAd7-wKkPiehoCuK8QAvD_BwE,gclsrc:aw.ds

Back