wall directly behind the tub

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmurra1

Reaction score
Ok...so I had rotten wood in the bathroom floor under the tub. Pulled the 400 pound 50-year-old cast iron tub out, took down tile, sheetrock, etc...everything down to studs and joists. replaced the floor and am about to replace sheetrock. When reviewing my questions keep in mind I am NOT putting that 400 pound tub back in, instead I am putting in a small Jacuzzi tub (60" by 32").

1. Ok...when replacing the sheetrock, do I want to use greenboard or something else. or a combination of greenboard and cement board. (I do plan to tile the tub surround with ceramic subway tiles.)

2. Do I need to put the sheetrock all the way down to the floor behind the tub (the portion you don't see). I don't know how I can coordinate the sheetrock guy with the plumbers who are setting the tub. I do have a vapor barrier already in place in that wall, yet I am concerned about having the tub directly against the studs. However, I think this is how it is done in new construction (not putting sheetrock behind the tub).

Any help will be appreciated.

Tub first, then Dura rock cement board around the tub area, then greenboard in any areas which will not get wet from direct water.
Install a sealer on the durarock, redguard or others is fine.
Talk to the folks IN a tile store...not big box store to get the best answers for what you are doing as far as the products you will use.

I also fill the tub with water before I caulk that last tile to tub joint.

Post some pics and tell us how you make out.

Back