Walls & ceiling problems & advices

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its bin... I haven't had this problem anywhere except on these 3little spots...

I suspect I either forgot to prime some putty touch ups before painting or a last minute sanding to remove some clumps in the prime caused this ..

Either ways I am learning from my mistakes... ;)

Could I locally apply more paint with a 4" roller and sand smooth before the 2nd final coat goes on??

Should i just prime on top and repaint??

I will post pics whenever my camera battery is charged.

Last edited:
Ok back to the ceiling fan issue, I went to the attic and took some pics as promised.. THere are 2x4's running down the ceiling. See pics. Basically I could either climb up the attic and install some bracing myself, or hire a contractor to do it, or use a gizmo that I purchased (and was looking to bring back to the store) to install fans when no bracing is available.

I have a hard time to use the gizmo thing since I cant visually confirm it is engaged properly in the studs, and also its nearly impossible to insert in the electric box hole without struggling and risking the ceiling freshly painted.

I am considering going back in the attic and climb up the ceiling and screw a 2x4 between the studs.. That way, it will be reliable. Only I am scared to go through the ceiling and fall down. I would not survive 25ft... Any chances this happens? In other words, do you think this structure can support my weight (200#) without buckling, breaking or twisting?

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

I just though to give an update while I am asking once again for the expert's opinions!!

The ceiling fan is now installed. I went to the attic and screwed a piece of 2x4 across the ceiling trusses, and used an electric box extension to match the ceiling depth. The fan installation seems sturdy and I think this will be OK.

While I was in the attic, I took some pictures of the structure as we were discussing initially in this thread. I have notiuced some vertical members that were warped and I took a picture of the piece of wood that snapped.

Are these warped pieces normal??? Should we worry?

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

The broken piece of 1x4 was a temp brace to hold the truss in place before he got on top to place the 2x4s on the flat. When he was on top of the roof and wanted to adjust the truss to fit the line of the flat 2x4s he just reached down and broke the temp brace. The trusses are made with dry lumber so that warped peice was likely there when it was built. Trying to staighten it now will raise the roof or lower the ceiling so I wouldn't touch it or worry about any of this.

Excellent! Nice to hear that everything is fine! Case closed then! Thanks a lot Nealtw, im learning a lot here!!!

Back