Quantcast

Water heater

Help Support House Repair Talk:

kmg8810

Reaction score
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice. I'm replacing my water heater and the new one is a couple of inches too tall for the vent pipe to line up perfectly. The bottom section of vent is 12 inches long and I can't find a 10 inch long type b pipe. What would be the best course of action in this situation? I've included pictures of the old and new set up and of the vent that is too long. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

Snoonyb

Reaction score
Welcome.
If the new appliance sets on the same raised pedestal/platform as the previous, that would be the point of adjustment, you could look on line for a 10" ameri-vent, which in turn may be available from a local plumbing supply house.

I just did a search for 10" amerivent, and that is not available, so the pedestal/platform is the easiest option, unless there are more joined sections, which can be altered.

Last edited:

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
Just cut the bottom and insert the draft hood into the cut end.
You can buy a hand crimper to crease the draft hood to create a narrower male end, if needed.
Might not be to code, others can weigh in.

Fireguy5674

Reaction score
Remove the lower section of the double wall pipe from your stack. Go buy a 24" length of single wall flue pipe in the correct size. Put the draft hood on the water heater and cut the new pipe to fit. Unless you have some unusual code situation you do not need double wall pipe all the way to the top of the water heater.

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
He has cpvc pipes, and once the draft hood goes on there, the flue will be right next to it, at least on the hot water outlet side.

Fireguy5674

Reaction score
Yes and that is not to code either. Minimum 12" away from heater with metal pipe, at least where I work. But it won't melt or distort with water in it. That CPVC will eventually crack that close to heater.

Latest posts