welcome to the doghouse

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is yours a super duty with the 6.0? Mine is funny whenever I get an oil change it won't like to start without being plugged in for a week or two but when my oil get about 1500 miles on it it starts up fine. Let it sit a couple weeks it will take a couple batteries to get it going. If I plug it in it fire right up everytime.

yes mine is the 6.0 superduty. I really like the truck except in the winter. this is my first diesel so I guess a lot of it is just getting used to it. the main problem is that my gas truck is so much fun to drive and it is nice in the winter because it starts easier doesn't take anti gel and it heats up faster. so my diesel tends to sit for a while and the battery got a bit to low before I tried to start it. and since it has the dual batteries it doesn't charge very well when the batteries are cold. anyway I got it started and parked it in the garage last night. I still have the jeep on the lift, so I just lifted it up high and I can park my gas truck under it. I love my lift.:rockin::rockin:

DSC00465.jpg

I have the 6.0 and the 7.3 and the 7.3 never has a problem starting no matter how long it sits or how cold it gets. the 6.0 is a *****. My 6.0 has 365,000 miles on it and my 7.3 has 310,000 miles so I kinda fihure they will start to have issues now.

yeah but at 365,000 miles that truck has earned its keep in my book lol. when I bought mine I really hesitated because I had heard so many bad things about the 6.0. I looked at dodges and chevys but I just didn't like them. then I found this one, it was 2 years old, a lariat edition with the integrated trailer brakes and towing package. it had under 30,000 miles on it and I got it with the 200,000 mile drivetrain extended warranty, and I got it for 35,000. I really needed a 3/4 ton to pull my 22 foot haulmark out to Reno and I wanted a diesel for it so it seemed perfect. It will be paid off in a couple months and I have not had any major problems with it knock on wood. so it has been a good truck for me. and it is the most luxurious truck I have ever had. it still has under 100,000 miles on it so it is barely broken in, so I hope to keep it for another 5 years at least.

It will probably last you as long as you want to keep it. Mine is the 03 Lariat and even being old and broken in it is still very comfortable to drive and I wouldn't hesitate to go cross country in it one bit. I want to get at least 500,000 miles out of her before I get a new one.

ok. I have accomplished a few things in the last couple of days. I fixed the turn signal indicator lamps. fixed the horn. it turns out that the prior owner used a steering wheel that was not designed to work with the installation kit he used. and the horn button I bought was not compatible with it either, so I had to buy a new steering wheel, but it is all working properly now. I also replaced the turn signal cancel cam. on mustangs that is easy but on this jeep it has a lock ring in the column for theft prevention as you probably know. they recommend a special spring compressor tool which I do not have, so I made one out of a couple bolts and an old piece of angle iron left over from my garage door install.
DSC01422_zpsa951def1.jpg

it worked pretty well. now the turn signals cancel properly. I have built mustangs for too long I guess. I can't stand to look at ugly rusted components. I need a new cap for my master cylinder as the one I have is rusted and pitted terribly. I could only find them sold with the master cylinder at the local parts store so I took this one off and sanded it down a bit and powder coated it. no it does not look new but it looks better. I also cleaned up a ton of grime under the hood.

DSC01420_zps17dbaf6e.jpg

DSC01421_zps5218adc0.jpg

installed the refueling assistang.

DSC01408_zps8e19aee6.jpg

I ordered the parts I need for the exhaust, that should be here monday.

and I cleaned the bedliner off the brake and gas pedals.

now I am stuck on a stupid little problem that should be easy but isn't. I have searched the jeep forum and google and my factory service manual and could not find the answer so I have to stop and ask for directions.

since I am going to let my teenage daughter drive this jeep to school I need to fix a few things that are not normally a big deal. namely the gear shift position indicator is broken.

I have repaired the plastic housing with j-b weld and I will repaint it tonight. I ordered a replacement needle for the PRND21 indicator so I can get that fixed. I have fixed all the rest of the lights, but I can't figure out how to remove that stupid little light in the shift indicator housing. I thought it just pulled out, so I tried that and if it does it is stuck. I did not want to break it off in there so I decided I would see if anyone has any help.

here are a couple pics of the stupid little bugger. any ideas?

DSC01425_zpsaf6612c4.jpg

DSC01430_zps5d23ad58.jpg

"they recommend a special spring compressor tool which I do not have, so I made one out of a couple bolts and an old piece of angle iron left over from my garage door install"

Nlce work there Mustanggarage on that special tool. Be proud of your invention! :D

On that indicator light is it the bulb or the entire unit you are having a fit with? I have had same situation getting bulbs out of my 85 CJ 7. Maybe a little battery cleaner just a drop or two will free up any corrosion in the socket and let that bulb loose?

Don't remove to much of that grime under the hood, that is Jeeps answer for rust prevention...;)

"they recommend a special spring compressor tool which I do not have, so I made one out of a couple bolts and an old piece of angle iron left over from my garage door install"

Nlce work there Mustanggarage on that special tool. Be proud of your invention! :D

On that indicator light is it the bulb or the entire unit you are having a fit with? I have had same situation getting bulbs out of my 85 CJ 7. Maybe a little battery cleaner just a drop or two will free up any corrosion in the socket and let that bulb loose?

Yeah just the bulb. I don't know how it is supposed to come out. Does it push in and twist? Or just pull out or does the whole thing with the wires need changed? I will try the battery cleaner tomorrow. But if anyone knows the proper way to get it out so I at least know how it is supposed to come out it would help a lot.

How are you doing the powder coating and what equipement do you have, if you don't mind me asking. I have some small things I'd like to get powder coated.

I have my little eastwood hotcoat powdercoating kit. I seriously love this little thing. when I bought it my Dad laughed. he thought it would not work worth a darn. but it really does. I have coated tons of stuff and it has held up really well. a friend of mine was getting a new stove so he gave me his old one, and I put it in one corner of my shop.
41f806d9.jpg

and for the larger items I bought one of there small infra red heat lamps.

10-24002.jpg

2327575360101642786.jpg

2536519310101642786.jpg

I have even mixed up custom colors by just mixing the powders till I had it close to what I wanted. I coated my dads intake on his mustang and made a custom metal magnetic bulletin board for my daughter out of mettalic teal by mixing a bunch of colors.

2412706650101642786.jpg

it is an amazingly versatile tool. I especially love it because I can coat something, let it cure for 20 minutes in the oven, let it cool to touch in another 20 minutes or so, and I can install it. I don't have to wait for hours for the paint to cure.

well just for completeness I will post my progress. yes the bulb is supposed to just pull out. it takes essentially the same bulb as the turn signal indicators. (at least that is what I used and it worked.) mine was so corroded it would not come out. I ended up shattering the bulb and the rest of it still would not come out so I cut the two wires and pulled the whole thing out where I could work on it. with some very fine o-ring picks, some battery cleaner and time I managed to get the old bulb out without destroying the small electrodes. then I put in a new bulb and tested it and amazingly it still worked so I soldered the wires back together and I am up and running.

one more minor victory on the path to getting this jeep in shape for my daughter.

Thats awesome, I would love to be able to powder coat at home.

thats some fine lookin powder coating work!I have an oven in my Garage that I use to preheat aluminum parts before welding and I also used it to heat tires when I was racing karts. So I have a way to cook the powder coated parts can you recommend a good powder coating system that wont break the bank?

I have only used the Eastwood kit and it has worked well for me. This is the kit I bought. http://www.eastwood.com/powder-gun-promo-kit.html

The biggest key is that it takes very little air to make it work. You can just about blow through the hose lol. But too much air will blow the powder off what you are trying to coat. You only need about 10 psi

Thats awesome, I would love to be able to powder coat at home.

let me tell you, it is way easier to get good results with powdercoating than it is to try to make something look good with spray paint. there is no worry about runs, or the spray paint coming out in globs. it goes on smooth and looks good everytime. just like with everything prep is critical but with powder if you strip it to bare metal you don't have to worry about primer or anything. it is easy. and for 150.00 bucks with 4 8 oz bottles of powder it is really not very expensive. that kit includes the how to powdercoat book, the silicone plugs and high temp masking tape as well as the stainless steel wire for hanging the parts. all you need is an oven to do small parts. I have done timing covers, valve covers. the radiator hold downs in my 89 mustang. tie rod adjusters. tons of stuff in just a regular oven. when I bought my kit they had a special on the i.r. lamp and I bought the kit because I wanted to powdercoat my 9 inch differential housing. so I bought that lamp. I don't use it very often but it does add a lot of flexibility to what you can coat. but if you have an oven already that eastwood kit is really cheap and you will be amazed the first time you use it.

I took it for a drive and found out the 4wd was not working. I thought at first there was a problem in the transfer case. I decided to pull the transfer case. once I got it out I found out that it was ok. the chain and everything worked but apparently the problem was in the linkage. once we got it all back in and readjusted the linkage it is working. I have everything working now. the jeep starts great runs fine. all the lights work. all the components work. So I licensed it and we have been driving it. my daughter loves it. we need to do a lot of things like pulling the top and putting new weather stripping on it. I plan on doing some upgrades this summer. but it is a pretty nice little rig now.

Latest posts

Back