Welders

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garagegary

Reaction score
What size welder do I need to weld parts like brackets for mounting motorcycle seats and fenders and stuff like that. Will a flux welder do the job?

It should you need to determine the thickness of the metal you will be welding then look at the specifications of the welders to see if they are up to the task.

You should also look at the duty cycle of the welder. Many smaller flux core type mig welders have a duty cycle of 10%. Which is the number of minutes, within a 10 minute period, during which a given welder can safely produce a particular welding current. A welder with a 10% duty cycle must be rested for 9 minutes for every minute of welding you do. So you weld for a minute rest 9 weld for a minute rest 9 gets old quick.

Depending on the work you will be doing you may want to find a machine that will weld thicker metal and have a longer duty cycle to reduce the frustrations that come from an inexpensive welder

Welders are pretty high up there on the "you get what you pay for" list - the cheap ones harbor freight/etc sells are not adequate for just about any task.

If you don't plan on welding over 3/16", a quality 120V welder should meet your needs. Look for a used lincoln, miller, hobart, century, etc.

For thicker metal, you'll need a 240V welder. Same brands, but expect to spend a lot more, and you'll need to install a 240V circuit or share an outlet with a dryer/other 240V appliance.

--Bushytails

I have a couple welders one an old Lincoln AC stick and a Miller 135 , 115 volt that can weld up to .250 inch and welds very nice and I rarely need more and when I do I use my stick welder. and you can get both for around 950.00 and even less on ebay. Oh and I have a Snap-on 115 volt Plasma cutter that does okay but nothing to rave about. (it's a tap to start cutting and I prefer the newer easy starting ones)

If you're not fond of that plasma cutter, I'll take it off your hands. :)

I forgot to add, don't get flux - spend the extra money for MIG.

--Bushytails

Welders are pretty high up there on the "you get what you pay for" list - the cheap ones harbor freight/etc sells are not adequate for just about any task.

If you don't plan on welding over 3/16", a quality 120V welder should meet your needs. Look for a used lincoln, miller, hobart, century, etc.

For thicker metal, you'll need a 240V welder. Same brands, but expect to spend a lot more, and you'll need to install a 240V circuit or share an outlet with a dryer/other 240V appliance.

--Bushytails

Well:rolleyes:, I happen to have one of those "cheap" Harbor Freight flux core welders and it works great. But, I know its limits. It really has never let me down and is very easy to use. I work at a fab shop so there are plenty of machines availible when I'm welding thicker metal together. I would recommend buying a quality wire, what comes with it isn't the best.

Back