Wet spot on wall I can't explain

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorlow

Reaction score
I have a wetspot on my wall that I can't explain. We've lived in this house for about 5 months now. About 3 months ago, I noticed it and I check it every few days and I don't think once has it ever been dry in that spot. It's always wet and if you push the area, you can easily push the wall in. It's right next to the bath tub. But it's the opposite side of the shower head. I'm attaching pics. The other side of the wall is my daughter's bedroom and that wall is dry and solid and looks great.

I'm attaching pictures. Can anyone give me ideas where to check for the source of the wetness? (I guess I'm 99% sure it's the shower itself that's the wetness.) I do have another theory too. Actually the other side of the shower (of where the pic is taken) the toilet is there. Somehow that wall got really wet. When I first noticed it, it was wet enough I could push it in. But since then it's been dry. It's really discolored where it got wet but it's dry right now. But the other side of the wall where the toilet is, the washer and dryer are there. I checked the water lines. They seem fine. Watched the washer during a cycle and didn't see any spraying. But if I look behind my dryer, I can see dirt like there's no foundation under my bathroom tub. It's maybe just dirt. (It's a stick built house that was built in 2006.) So maybe the moisture is coming up from the ground.

Another theory I have is the crack of the tub surround, water is following the crack and pooling up in that spot. I checked the floor a few minutes under that. Seems if that theory was correct, the water would've ran down the wall and pooled on the floor. The floor is dry right now. (I guess it could've evaporated over the last hour since my daughter took a shower.)

IMG_20140929_084845661.jpg

IMG_20140929_084852566_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.
That crack is the problem and that wet aera should be removed allowed to dry, treated for mold and replaced and then that little wall should be tiled and that crack needs to be caulked.

I was thinking once I removed the little wall area (and probably a little bit into the bigger part of the wall to the left of the pic), I was going to replace it with greenboard or some kind of moisture resistant drywall. Then tape, mud, and paint it.

Yes and then tile that strip wall. But dig into the wall first as you will be surprized at what you find. Cut the corner bead with a hacksaw first so you don't have to repair all the way to the ceiling.

I'm wondering if it's just a case of the water running along the seam between the tub and the wall panel. It may be just enough to get wicked up by the wall. Check it while someone is using, or after a shower.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just tile my walls waist high around the whole bathroom. Then I'll guarantee the wet area won't come back behind the toilet too.

yeah definitely. Just trying to make sure once it's fixed, I'm not fixing it again in 6 months. I think I have to replace the drywall with the cement board for tile anyways.

Ya - that is almost definitely coming from the seam where your wall panels 'snap' into your bathtub. Once you remove the sheertock in the effected area you will expose the flange that attaches to your framing. Run your shower and confirm the leak out of that exact area. Apply silicone in the seams where your wall panels attach to the tub. Run your shower again about 12 hours later (after silicone application) and make sure the leak has stopped. Proceed with the 1/2" concrete board and tile from there. Cheers!

well, i just caulked the seam in the tub all around. I haven't fixed the wall yet. I guess my theory is the wet spot should dry up now. If it does, then that confirms that was the problem. Then when it's dry, I'll rip the messed up drywall out and fix it because I know the fix won't get ruined from the source of the problem not being fixed yet.

I would rip out the bad stuff now to let the wood work dry and you do want to make sure you haven't got a plumbing leak or some silly thing too.

nealtw, earlier you said it should be treated for mold too once I remove the wall. How do I do that?

There are product on the market and right now I can't think of the name. But first you want to open it up and see what you have. That crack as been there a long time and you can be sure the water got to the framing and only showed up after the wood could hold no more water. So you might be in for some re-framing.

Latest posts

Back