What Are You Doing In Your Garage?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I removed it from the bench fort some other project but I did find a picture. ( and flowers I made with it ) Nothing fancy, about a hundred dollars from Northern Hydraulics. It has an interesting display of instructions for making letters & numbers that caught my eye.

Also I got these metal medallions ( or what ever ). eight small, four large pieces . I have no idea what they are for but if I think long enough I should be able to incorporate them in something. They are cast metal and look very old.
Anyone have an idea what they were used for or how ? Thanks.

View attachment IMG_4473.jpg

View attachment IMG_1701.jpg

View attachment IMG_1703.jpg

Ornate wrought iron fence spike?

Ornate wrought iron fence spike?

They are ornamental something. Only 3/16" thick so they would not work on some wide wrought iron fence. I was thinking maybe a circle, possibly 11-12" in 3/16" round stock, line the outside with the small pieces. Maybe a last name letter in the center. Paint tastefully, make the letter in wider material, maybe 3/4" x 1/8" stock. I can see the design in my head, just have to go through the motions. Not every plan turns out so I have learned to tack weld before the final approval. Much easier to start over.

I just cut off about 30 of those spikes from my RV gate.

I just cut off about 30 of those spikes from my RV gate.
What do they look like ? Inquiring minds have to know. My metal " fashion passion " seemed to surface without provocation .
Waiting for the photographic image and size description.

Kind of hard to see, but ok. How many dishes are required ? Looks like a satellite receiving center.

The dish in the foreground is what I installed. I pulled the old dish and tossed it after installing Direct TV.

I gave up the dishes. Every month they wanted more money. Like the supervisor told me, the contract states we have the right so don't sign anything you don't agree with. Two months later they got their " dear John " letter. I would never have that service any where near again. Letters arrive with offers monthly. Called and told them to save their postage. Did they think the public was that hooked on their programming? Someone will buy them, change the name, and business as usual.

There are alot of bootleg hdmi sticks you can plug into your tv and pick up signals from your computer. I will be checking them out soon.

I have one dish. Not much reception connected with it . Got it from an older gentleman who collected scrap metals. As this is fiberglass it wasn't in his need bin. I guess it was one of those all or nothing deals.
I was surprised it is 12' in diameter. They look smaller on the ground. With some small pieces of tubing welded together it makes a small shelter.
I was speaking to a guy about his TV reception. He indicated the Dish satellite he subscribed to is being terminated. Larger fees and poor / no reception in bad weather situations. Going to stick with Netflix , Prime , plus what ever else is on the antenna. Not only mailers but they are also making phone calls for subscribers. Good luck with that.

View attachment IMG_4508.jpg

Found a 30" fan blade from a Cat pay loader at a " clearing out the garage " sale for three dollars. Wasn't sure what but I knew it would end up as something artsy. Scrubbed off the grease / oil, sanded and painted it red on the inside and tri color on the outside. Made a nose cone to cover the middle bolt pattern. Took a few minutes but " stretched " some metal to make a pointed design. Cut down a shaft on the metal lathe to fit a couple brass bushings for bearings and added grease fittings. Tail and center structure to follow saving some fun for another day. And you thought Fridays were boring !

View attachment IMG_1714.jpg

Found a 30" fan blade from a Cat pay loader at a " clearing out the garage " sale for three dollars. Wasn't sure what but I knew it would end up as something artsy. Scrubbed off the grease / oil, sanded and painted it red on the inside and tri color on the outside. Made a nose cone to cover the middle bolt pattern. Took a few minutes but " stretched " some metal to make a pointed design. Cut down a shaft on the metal lathe to fit a couple brass bushings for bearings and added grease fittings. Tail and center structure to follow saving some fun for another day. And you thought Fridays were boring !

Well...what's new?

I have got to do a garage cleansing. Can't hardly walk through it anymore. Dumped all the stuff out of a condo I'm trying to sell, all the grandkids toys from the basement have made their way their. Guess a trip to the Habitat Restore and Goodwill are in my future.

My garage has been maintaining a cleaner status than normal, not sure if I finally got rid of enough or just learned to organize? Spending the next few days indoors as it is supposed to be 109 tomorrow and 11 Monday. Not fun when working on stuff.

Latest posts

Back