What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your doctor friend is probably wrong. Plenty of cultures where there's no pasteurization/homogenization have abundant lactose intolerance (to cow milk anyway). It almost certainly is a genetic trait we co-evolved based on what kinds of dairy animals our ancestors domesticated: goats in most of the world, bovines in northern Europe.

As your own experience shows, we didn't have anything like near-universal pasteurization/homogenization until a few generations ago -- nowhere near enough time for heritable lactose intolerance to suddenly show up.

He might have a point about milk allergies though, some of which might be confused for heritable lactose intolerance.

Flyover, I hate when they accidentally overpay & then you're stuck having to pay it back bc they screwed up. A family friend of ours who used to work with my dad moved on to work for OIG (Office of Inspector General). When he retired at mandatory retirement age, they started paying him retirement rate at what his salary should have been if not for the stupid salary cap that Congress put in place. He didn't realize he was getting more than he was supposed to & the govt didn't realize the mistake until a year later. They demanded he pay it all back at once at first. He couldn't afford it. So they started garnishing his salary to take it back to the point he had to go out and get another job to pay it back. At least they didn't gyp him on his pay when he was working. They screwed my father over on his pay. His LEAP was supposed to be 25% of his pay for GS14 step 10. They were only giving him the LEAP as if he was GS10 step 1-- HUGE pay difference. He didn't find out until he hit mandatory retirement age and started looking more carefully at his pay to calculate his retirement pay. They based his retirement off of the lower figure when it should have been higher. Unfortunately, his health was such that he didn't have the energy or the finances to really fight it.

I felt the urge to do something productive today and forced myself to get up and clean out the kitchen sink. My brother had been piling literal garbage in it and I haven't had the mental fortitude to tackle it. Finally got it cleaned up and cleaned out the garbage disposal as well. I found some random dishes among the garbage so I rinsed them and stuck them in the dishwasher. I'm going to have to give them all a thorough scrubbing and go back and toss anything that won't come fully clean. Somehow there was hair, lint, cheese wrappers, and all manner of garbage in the sink. But it's clean now.

Ordered some stuff on Amazon for home repairs. It had gone up in price and just went back down again so I wanted to order it before it went up again.

I've been planning out my mask pattern from dieselpunk ro. Frodo linked it to me and got me to join the FB page so people have been giving me advice. I'm going to see if washable nursing bra cups can work as washable filter pockets that are more comfortable on the face. I'll have to see about making a cloth mockup of the whole thing.

Yesterday I took mom for her regular checkup at the doctor. Her blood panels are better than mine, but she doesn't have congenital heart defects. That skipped her generation. I inherited that crap from both sides of the family (strokes and heart conditions run on both sides). I'm still tired and trying to get energy back. Taking my meds regularly and taking Krill Oil capsules to see if that will help with my cholesterol.

Made Mom a breakfast burrito (after mentioning I made one for myself) & she was very happy with it. Need to get more eggs tomorrow.

I went for a very brief walk and saw my cow licking her daughter's forehead. Wish I'd had my camera.

Right now the sun is shining in through my window to the west so I'm being warmed up. Cats are hogging my blankets as usual.

This is funny! I was carefully planning my approximate 4.5% butterfat milk preparation. I started with a gallon jug of milk and a pint of heavy cream. I poured a cup of milk into a measuring cup and a cup of cream into another. I took t tbs of cream from the cream cup and added to to the milk cup. The plan was to pour the cup of cream into the milk jug and use the other cup with my cheerios. Well I got the cups mixed up and ate my cheerios with heavy cream and poured a cup of 4.5% milk into the jug of 3.5% milk.

So today after eating my cheerios with slightly enriched milk I am pouring the remaining cup of cream into the milk jug to get slightly higher than 4.5% butterfat whole milk. Whew!

Ordered some stuff on Amazon for home repairs. It had gone up in price and just went back down again so I wanted to order it before it went up again.
I haven't checked this out but I read somewhere that Amazon has algorithms that change prices based upon one's search history and wish list.

Well, that sucks! But, I can't say I'm surprised.

I actually cleaned out my kitchen sink fully for the first time in a long time. There are some stains I'm not sure how to get out though. Uses the dishwasher as temp storage for stuff I didn't know where to put.

Went to the post office and grocery store today. stopped in to see my friend. He's losing sight in his other eye now. His ex seems to think they are back together & that he will let her stay. I helped her find her work shoe. Girl is really irresponsible and can't keep track of her stuff. Although, I lose my stuff all the time too. Looks like the houseguest's one-year-old went into the bedroom and messed with stuff so she might have been responsible for another missing item.

Tomorrow is a dental appointment.

Last edited:
Your doctor friend is probably wrong. Plenty of cultures where there's no pasteurization/homogenization have abundant lactose intolerance (to cow milk anyway). It almost certainly is a genetic trait we co-evolved based on what kinds of dairy animals our ancestors domesticated: goats in most of the world, bovines in northern Europe.

As your own experience shows, we didn't have anything like near-universal pasteurization/homogenization until a few generations ago -- nowhere near enough time for heritable lactose intolerance to suddenly show up.

He might have a point about milk allergies though, some of which might be confused for heritable lactose intolerance.
Had some of my enhanced milk today and it was pretty good for government designed milk.

When I was a kid on raw milk, real sugar and little processed food some things were rare or even unheard of. Only one kid was obese, only a couple of people had cancer (it was called a dread disease by insurance companies it was so uncommon) and lactose intolerance was nil. Since acquired characteristics are not inherited I think the food chain is indeed a significant contributor to current problems.

Took my friend for his dental appointment. It didn't go well. His whole face except his gums/teeth were numb & they weren't able to pull them. He has to see an oral surgeon instead & the oral surgeon doesn't take his insurance. It's going to be more expensive.

My dental work is going to be expensive. I need 3 appointments and the first one is almost $800 for cleaning and fixing the teeth (one of my molars got chipped & there's a gap between the teeth that catches too much crud & the gums get irritated. Doesn't help that one of my medications causes inflammation of the gums sometimes.

Went to Tractor Supply after to get some cow feed. Ran in to another friend I hadn't seen since last year. He's doing well. We joked around while waiting in line. He teased our mutual friend by saying he was like the broom that was for sale "All purpose and gets pushed around".

Had some of my enhanced milk today and it was pretty good for government designed milk.

When I was a kid on raw milk, real sugar and little processed food some things were rare or even unheard of. Only one kid was obese, only a couple of people had cancer (it was called a dread disease by insurance companies it was so uncommon) and lactose intolerance was nil. Since acquired characteristics are not inherited I think the food chain is indeed a significant contributor to current problems.

The food chain is a giant cause of disease. The fast and processed food that is filled with chemicals to enhance flavor and shelf life doesn't jive with the human or animal body. Animals in the wild don't get cancer. It's non existent. Animals that eat their version of the Standard diet (SAD) from a bag do get disease.

When I was on a strict Paleo diet of just Meat and Vegetables, all Organic, and eliminated alcohol, sugar, bread, pasta, rice, beans etc., nothing at all from a box, very little from a glass jar etc., I felt better than any time in my Adult life with the exception of Basic Training, where a group of someone else's controlled everything I ate.

My body freaked out after 2 days with no sugar, and my energy plummeted. I "supplemented" with Organic Raisins and Blueberries to satisfy the craving. That took a little over 2 weeks until my body no longer required that. That's the perfect diet for me, and I need to go hardcore like that again, but people should see a Functional Medicine MD before starting that, especially if they have an "eating" disease like Diabetes. Going to a regular MD is worthless because they aren't trained in nutrition at all. Going to a dietician is the same, they will tell you to eat less of the boxed "food".

The best side effect of a hardcore Paleo diet is using a lot less toilet paper, the bathroom visits don't stink at all, and there is no need for deodorant. Now, of course one should eliminate personal chemicals as well that are in shampoo and things like that. I did notice after I was "clean" that I was wickedly sensitive to the car mirror air freshener. I couldn't even get in the car that had one. Like Kryptonite.

So, to close this book, Raw Milk is the reason I question everything the Gubment says because they never make any sense. They want to "protect" people from Evil Raw Milk, but allow all the drugs on the market that can kill you every day and twice on Sunday faster than an 8 ball of Crack, and that's from the company's own commercials.

Oh, make sure to take off your mask if you are puking. That's straight from the CDC.

Groan.

Took my friend for his dental appointment. It didn't go well. His whole face except his gums/teeth were numb & they weren't able to pull them. He has to see an oral surgeon instead & the oral surgeon doesn't take his insurance. It's going to be more expensive.

My dental work is going to be expensive. I need 3 appointments and the first one is almost $800 for cleaning and fixing the teeth (one of my molars got chipped & there's a gap between the teeth that catches too much crud & the gums get irritated. Doesn't help that one of my medications causes inflammation of the gums sometimes.

Went to Tractor Supply after to get some cow feed. Ran in to another friend I hadn't seen since last year. He's doing well. We joked around while waiting in line. He teased our mutual friend by saying he was like the broom that was for sale "All purpose and gets pushed around".

Have you tried Oil Pulling?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=oil+pulling&ia=web

My friend doesn't want to risk it. I don't need any more teeth pulled, but I need fillings. I'm waiting to hear back from the dentist on whether or not they get approval from my doctor on me getting stuff done because I have to take antibiotics before any cleanings & so forth because of prolapsed heart valves. Doesn't help that my cardiologist died & I haven't found a new one that doesn't suck.

Processed foods are definitely not good-- probably a big part of why I'm not in great health. I eat a lot of them since I'm not a great cook & I hate cooking. Had pizza yesterday (saturday) and felt awful afterward. Almost threw up. Still not feeling great.

Went over to help my friend install a Rev-a-Shelf tip-out shelf on his kitchen sink cabinet. The fake drawer there kept falling off. As soon as he saw it he got to installing it but had trouble because he can barely see. He's losing vision in his right eye now. He was a bit stressed out since he's been arguing with his ex. She refuses to accept that they are not a couple anymore. She keeps pretending they are and telling everyone they are together, gets jealous about any women (except me) that he talks to, and constantly messages/calls him to ask what he's doing and who he is with. I told him the simple answer anytime she asks that is "None of your business". She lost any right to ask him that when she cheated on him & left him for another guy. She seems to think that it's OK that she left him because she came crawling back and begging him to take her back in. He lets her stay there, but she won't get it through her skull that he won't date her again. She still doesn't really want anything to do with their baby except to post pics of him on FB and claim she loves him so much & he's her world and all that BS. I have to constantly stop myself from mentioning that she won't even hold him for 5 minutes. To make matters worse, she stopped taking her meds. She is a danger to others without those meds. My friend would not be blind in one eye and going blind in the other if not for her getting violent with him.

It was tense until she left for work & then some friends came over & we watched weird crap on the internet and made a trip to Home Depot. Friend needs to add a breaker and some more outlets so he can run some heaters for next week.

We had pizza but I regretted it later. Pizza often disagrees with my stomach but it was worse than usual this time. Still fighting the urge to throw up so I don't puke up my medicine. I rarely eat pizza anymore.

That is simply not true. Eat what you think makes you feel good, but don't make up facts. And before you attribute any wild animal cancer to modern pollutants, know that cancer has been found in dinosaur fossils.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/08/200803184149.htm

You'll just have to stick to your facts, and I'll stick to the truth. How did you know I was going to say the obvious in modern pollutants? You know I'm right, that's how.

@Spicoli43 I just did a DuckDuckGo search, and then a Google Scholar search, on "wild animals cancer" and ... there must be a pretty big conspiracy to cover up "the truth"!

2nd sentence in this ecology paper's abstract:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128043103000028
The frequent occurrence of cancer in multicellular organisms suggests that neoplasia, similar to pathogens/parasites, may have a significant negative impact on host fitness in the wild.
Big Pharma must've got to 'em!

@Spicoli43 I just did a DuckDuckGo search, and then a Google Scholar search, on "wild animals cancer" and ... there must be a pretty big conspiracy to cover up "the truth"!

2nd sentence in this ecology paper's abstract:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128043103000028
Big Pharma must've got to 'em!
So you believe it because a scientist said so? Who argues with scientists? Other scientists. Did you personally see through a microscope the cancer cells in a petri dish? Did you see where these animals were found?

@Spicoli43: If I'd searched "wild animals cancer" and found nothing to support the idea that wild animals get cancer except this paper, then I would have a very good reason to doubt what these scientists (the paper has 13 authors) are saying.

Even as it is, I still keep a skeptical mind with regard to whether their methodology was sound, whether they represented their findings fairly, whether their samples were properly sourced, and so on. I know it's always possible they dropped the ball somewhere. Scientists are just humans. Maybe they made a mistake. Maybe the reviewers for the journal that published their paper also made a mistake. It's possible!

But when I search on "wild animals cancer" I find paper after paper, article after article, study after study, talking about wild animals getting cancer. When I search on "wild animals don't get cancer" all I find is articles about "What's up with these few weird species that don't get cancer?" Please don't take my word for it. Repeat the experiment for yourself.

So now I have to wonder which is more likely:

A) that every single scientific journal and science blogger and popular science website I can find is complicit in a lie to cover up the truth, that wild animals don't get cancer,

OR

B) that a random guy on an internet forum asserted something that isn't true and now refuses to admit he was wrong.

Please, convince me why (A) is more likely.

Latest posts

Back