What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eddie, thanks for the link. I put in what info I remembered and requested the forms. I made a notation that I know the dates of service for the active duty part but don't know what his reserve dates were. He joined in '64 a month after he turned 17, stayed 'til 68 (serving in Vietnam) and then he was in the reserves before he married my mother in 70. So he either joined the reserves in the tail end of 68 or sometime in 69. I put he was enlisted but he was an officer in the reserves. He made it to Major rank. Sadly some of his records were burned in a fire at some facility that held documents (since he was still active in reserves in the 70s through 90s). He had to contact former supervisors to vouch for him to get some of his records restored. He had some of his medals and documents in his office when it was burned down in the 80s.

As for the religion and evolution thing, I don't think there is going to be any agreement so it's becoming a merry-go-round without the merry part.

My cat has decided she has to sit on my chest and while grooming herself so she keeps bumping my face.

I've never seen anyone change anyone's position discussing issues on the internet.
I suspect better info available on the internet has changed lots of opinions... or at least modified some of the more off beat ones...

We're not going to have hot topic discussions threads. No point. If that's what you're looking for, there's plenty of places to engage in discussing viewpoints on any given topic.

If you're looking to discuss fixing things around the house, you're more than welcome here. We're open 24/7/365.

The military has all their records archived somewhere. I'd find the address & send a certified letter requesting them. You'll proly have to prove your identity.

...there's plenty of places to engage in discussing viewpoints on any given topic.
There's like -0- websites where you can tell the truth without getting banned... maybe Trump's new Truth Social website will allow truths when it gets going in... February?

There's like -0- websites where you can tell the truth without getting banned... maybe Trump's new Truth Social website will allow truths when it gets going in... February?
You don't get it. :(

And Dale Carnegie said don't talk about politics, sex or religion. Who said what???

You don't get it. :(

And Dale Carnegie said don't talk about politics, sex or religion. Who said what???
You don't get being an American... Madison/Jefferson said have Freedom of Speech to talk about anything you want... They may have gotten that from Voltaire...

Well, on the home improvement side: The lavatory for Mom's bathroom arrived today. UPS set it on it's side with the "THIS SIDE UP" clearly marked. In fairness, the shape/size of the box made it very difficult to carry it properly. I got winded dragging it in to the house. I did set it down in the right orientation though. I'd just hauled another heavy package that contained multiple packs of wet wipes (and like 50 packs of them weigh more than I'd though). Mom likes to order the shea butter wet wipes. My headache really spiked while trying to move that one around. (Ok, I don't know if it was actually 50 packs- it was more than 10 and it was heavy as f***). I started sweating, got short of breath, had arrhythmia, and had to sit down.

I'm feeling exhausted today.

Last night I made some chicken soup with eggs. Woke up in the night to 30°F temps. Made myself a makeshift tent with a fitted sheet stretched behind my head and over my laptop. Rupert had to get in with me because he likes being under covers. He's been my cuddle buddy. Went back to sleep after awhile. Got up early this morning when sun came up. 29°F outside. Cleaned a bunch of expired stuff and empty plastic shopping bags out of the fridge, wiped down the counters, swept the hallway, petted kitties, had myself a bowl of chicken soup. Briefly watched the news & got disgusted about prices going up more. Got back in bed and set up my tent again. Rupert joined. Biscuits started humping the blanket over my leg. Sir Hammington ran over the top of my head from one side of the bed to the other, then got under the sheet with us. Decided the sheet kept getting in the way so took it off and am sitting here under a pile of cats. Bethesda is just now making herself comfortable on my left leg. Biscuits is done humping my leg but is leaning against it while he grooms himself. I need to get up and do more cleaning.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup bourbon
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk (1 can is 14 oz)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp instant coffee granules

Did something similar - but simplified...

Ingredients
  • 1 cup bourbon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions
  • Pour bourbon in glass, add ice cubes (optional step)
  • Sip (or guzzle, depending on day)!
😂 😂

Did something similar - but simplified...

Ingredients
  • 1 cup bourbon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions
  • Pour bourbon in glass, add ice cubes (optional step)
  • Sip (or guzzle, depending on day)!
😂 😂
A true whisky snob drinks whisky at room temperature as as chilling drinks lessens the effectiveness of the taste buds and olfactory senses.

Back to the coffee creamer. I wanted Irish Coffee but didn't think I needed call-whisky to mix with coffee. While exploring that I ran into a suggestion that bourbon was as good as Irish whisky when mixed with coffee. So I picked a well-whisky (bourbon) after after a couple of uses decided a creamer would be make it much easier to enjoy a spontaneous cup of what I will call Kentucky Coffee. If I choose to drink Jameson it will be neat at room temp. Likewise even though JD offers a recipe for JD and Coke I will choose well-whisky for mixing with the sweet and bubbly and sip my JD neat at room temp.

I am on a tasting journey now. A friend who has me over for supper almost weekly has a good supply of top-shelf whisky. I do a a small sample taste of a different one each visit. It's more of a curiosity thing as I am not a regular drinker and am happy with the distinct orangey taste of Gran Gala.

Last edited:
The Coke/Pepsi debate is moot for me because I don't drink sodas. I hate carbonation in drinks. Dr. Pepper was ok if I could shake it and let it go flat. But I haven't had any in years.

Just started sneezing after being in Mom's room talking to her. Probably from all the after-shower powder in the vicinity. She was awake and filling in her coloring books. She got a bunch of fancy colored pens and pencils.

I'm waiting for my brother to finish playing some video games so he can help me move stuff so I can clean in the front room. I need him to lift the kitty condo top so I can get the base out and clean it.

Latest posts

Back