What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new DDS says that carbonation attacks tooth enamel. I know Coke has carbonic acid that can dissolve a common nail over time [unless that photo was faked way back then].

That's why the Coke/Pepsi debate is/was almost useless, they're both served cold.
I can taste the extra sugar in Pepsi or New Coke despite it being cold... but now that I've gotten used to the taste of only cold Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola seems to have that dirty taste that is also found in the dirty smell of someone smoking crack cocaine...

My new DDS says that carbonation attacks tooth enamel. I know Coke has carbonic acid that can dissolve a common nail over time [unless that photo was faked way back then].
We soak rusty things in Coke to remove the rust, then paint them...

Carbonation makes carbonic acid which resolves into CO₂ and water. However many carbonated beverages also contain phosphoric acid (for tartness) which is the active ingredient in Rust Cure which turns rust into a stable oxide .

BTW soda fountains used to sell fountain drinks called phosphates.

And we had a plague of pinhole leaks in the pipes for a while so the water company added orthophosphate to the water.
Only one our of pipes under the slab leaked at three minutes per gallon so the plumber bypassed it. I could hear in the piping one morning & the water meter confirmed it.

I just know that I don't like the taste of carbonation and it makes me belch. As a kid sometimes sodas were the only drinks on school field trips so I would have to put up with coke or dr pepper. I never liked pepsi. But coke tasted better before they used corn syrup instead of sugar. When we were traveling they didn't always have milk & I never thought to ask for water with lemon so I would ask for coke with grenadine. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to get water with lemon in it. Cheaper and better for health.

Is it just me, or have beverage sizes at restaurants gotten smaller on the drinks that don't have free refills?

My brother actually noticed that I cleaned out the fridge and he thanked me for it. He also got absolutely enraged at Mom-- for good reason. She has a habit of sabotaging other people's cooking. She will change temperature, turn stuff off, etc. So, she gets into the kitchen and can't tell the difference between spicy food smell and something burning. So she goes over to the air fryer when my brother was cooking pork chops and turns it off. My brother sees her at the air fryer & asks what she's doing. Then he shrieks bc she hit the power button. She claimed she could see something burning inside. She was either mistaken or lying. My brother just about blew a gasket because he didn't know how much time was left to cook, the meat was not cooked through, so he had to turn it on again and guess (it got a little overcooked). She didn't apologize. Just claimed that nobody responded when she called us. She didn't call us. We would have heard her. I swear sometimes she does stuff like that on purpose. She's been practically bipolar in her moods today. One minute happy and the next having a fit.

I have a CO₂ cylinder and carbonate water, flat soda, lemonade, cider and sometimes wine. I haven't done much carbonating lately since my beverage of preference is tonic water with a good splash of limeade. I wonder if a quinidine tab would turn carbonated water into tonic water.

I never understood the appeal of carbonated drinks. I never liked the fizz. But, then I am weird. LOL.

Woke up early because some cats were having a loud argument in the kitchen. I went out and told them to shut up, had a bowl of soup, fed the kitties, crawled back into bed to look something up on my laptop, and am huddled under blankets. I need to go to the store today to pick up prescriptions and maybe grab a heated throw for my room. I also need to go to samsclub for some groceries. Fridge could use some more stuff now that I cleared a bunch of things out. Also need to make myself clean litterboxes-- but it's still freezing outside. Been trying to motivate myself to clean litterboxes for a few days now and have been procrastinating.

I passed my framing and HVAC rough-in inspection today on my basement project! Now on to insulation. My HVAC guy is coming Thursday to install my new attic unit for the second floor. This project might actually get finished this year. I'm hoping to get the insulation inspection next week.

Guzzle, I never did like sticking to an exact schedule. So yeah, pretty chaotic.

Sparky, that is excellent news!

I hope Shan is doing ok. I know things are super stressful right now for the medical community.

I got up fairly early, took my vitamins (been trying to take them around the same time in the morning), had some soup, went to the store with my brother. His RX was ready but Mom's hadn't been called in (despite her sending me to get her RX). Found a nice soft pillow that is currently behind my head while I'm sitting up on clearance. Got a laundry hamper on clearance too. Should have gotten more than one. Those things are expensive now and I could use more. Might go back later and hope they are still there. Got home, bro & I put away groceries, I tossed the pillow on my bed & the dog pounced on it & went to sleep. Later on when she got up to go eat cat food in the kitchen, Gravy Jones (one of the cats) was walking over to me, stepped on the pillow, stopped, started kneading it with his paws, then flopped down right in the middle, curled up and slept on it for the next few hours.

I took a nap and then forced myself to get up and clean up in the front room-- cleaned the litterboxes, swept the floor, took the bottom tray from the kitty condo out and scrubbed it, found some litterboxes hat didn't have litter but the cats had been using them & cleaned them out, put fresh litter in the boxes, etc. I moved the angle of the kitty condo. Namir is currently sleeping on one of the upper tiers while Temjin is sleeping in the litterbox. I really need to get a litter mat in there so I can pull it out instead of the whole tray next time. I have to get my brother to lift the condo off of the base for me to get it out.

Cooked for Mom as soon as I was done cleaning. It was only 50° out there but I was sweating my a$$ off while cleaning. I left the front door open so I could carry stuff out to the trash pile. Still need to haul more stuff out, but at least the litter crap is out.

Mom gave me the snuggy type thing I got her (she said it doesn't fit her right) so now that I've cooled off, I have it on to keep me warm. It's nice and comfy-- but I do wish it had thumbhole cuffs.

I really bundled up when I went out and nobody in the store said a thing about it. LOL. They all know people here can't handle the cold (it was still below 40 when I went to the store). We briefly chatted with Hazel (a Walmart employee from the Philippines). She works self-checkout and they gave her a new device- some sort of cell phone like thing that lets her remotely put in info and approve or modify a transaction if it asks for employee assistance at on of the self-checkout registers. So, one of our items scanned twice while moving it to a bag. I clicked to cancel one of them, she pushed some stuff on her phone, and it removed it. She told us that it's something they only give to self-checkout employees.

And now I'm probably going to nap. Kitties are piled on me and want cuddles. Aminatu keeps grabbing my arm. LOL.

I'm hanging in there @zannej ... thanks for thinking of me!. I am not going to work today, my mom woke me up around 320am with her breathing. She had gone.to the bathroom amd was having difficulties recovering from walking from room to bathroom (12ish feet maybe) It took a solid 30 minutes for her breathing to begin to settle before she could think about getting back to her room. I am awake now, hopefully I can go back to sleep soon.
We are supposed to get snow this afternoon I believe. (South East Ohio) My dog will enjoy that alot. My daughters puppies wont know what to think.
I rearranged my kitchen again, got tired of making ice lol. I have realized over the years that if I am rearranging, I'm probably upset or stressed about something.

I'm glad you're doing ok. Getting woken up in the middle of the night is no fun. At least she's still breathing, although I imagine some days you might have other thoughts about that-- if only briefly. It's a shame she doesn't want to accept that she needs help. I almost wonder if she is doing some of it for attention though.

My mother likes to fake having low blood sugar-- and she does it in a very dramatic and obvious way. She'll be acting normal when she thinks no one is looking, but when she wants to feign low blood sugar she starts doing heavy sighing and huffing. She will throw her head back and hold her mouth open. Thing is, she doesn't do this when she actually has low blood sugar. I was sitting in the bathroom one night and could hear her melodramatic huffing because she wanted me to get her ice cream and doesn't realize that she doesn't need to use a bs excuse for me to get her something.

I went to Samsclub and got some groceries. Stopped at HD and Lowes to get paint chips and some hardware stuff. I got some EZ-Hang thing to see if it will help hang doors. I want to make sure we don't have the problems my friend had with hanging doors at his house. Mom was happy about the paint chips and is still mulling over the options and I will have to bring more paint chips for her to look at. She does seem to have a hard time visualizing what color would go where and isn't understanding things for some reason. I kept having to tell her over and over that the entire paint chip with multiple colors wasn't the full color scheme, that she was to pick which colors she liked from them to decide what to put on the walls, cabinets, etc. I then had to explain satin, semi-gloss, and gloss to her. I'm kind of hoping she'll go with the Deep River color for the cabinets and shelves since we already have it.

Some of you could write short human interest stories, but I don't know how find a publisher.
Or you could self publish for about $500.

Collect your posts, split them into chapters, edit them for the angle you want, what the heck! :D

Maybe sell some content to an author to save them some research. During the semi lock down I have read 200 or more novels. One thing I notice when comparing authors is that good authors add enough minutia to add interest and personality to the characters. The same with movies, I am nearing the end of an Amazon Prime free trial and am culling a lot of movies after the first five minutes. A low budget movie is a bit like a high school play.

I just took a trip to the Rx store to get a prescription for my wife, roads are horrible, others drivers are horrible, drug store was closed, stopped at the liquor store and bought bottle of wine and I don't like wine...⛄

Picked up mail, cleaned more stuff, looked up info on Starlink, & right now Mom is on the phone with me (she's in the next room but used the intercom to call me to tell me about stuff on the internet).

Latest posts

Back