What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I talked to the lady who wants to adopt the dogs. She gave me her life story and got way off topic of the dogs. She offered to pay for the dogs to get spayed and neutered. It costs $1500 at her vet but I know a place that can do it for around $100 I think. I will have to get back to her once I talk to the clinic. She also wants them checked for heartworms and offered to pay. She's got some things going on and can't take them right away. Wants to meet up and have her dogs be introduced to them to see how they get along. She seems nice and she fell in love with them from the photos. She loves that they climb on the bed and doesn't care that they chew stuff. Her husband apparently wants them too after seeing pics.

I'm relaxing today and might see about helping my brother clean out the CR-V if it doesn't get too hot like it did yesterday. Still need to get its inspection sticker.

Brother has a job interview tonight and my friend has a dental appointments Monday and Thursday. I'm going to play chauffeur for all 3 trips.

I watched the season finale of Star Trek:Strange New Worlds and decided to watch some of the original series episodes that were referenced. I found myself yelling at my TV watching the "Balance of Terror" episode when the Romulans fired some plasma ball at Enterprise and they were running away from it in a straight line instead of just moving out of the way. It's like trying to run from a train straight down the tracks instead of jumping off. LOL.

Her vet charges $1500 to neuter a dog. and she needs to prepare for new dogs in the home and make sure her dogs get along with them. But she said even if she can't adopt them she will pay for the spaying and neutering. It's a little odd, but if they take the dogs off my hands eventually (maybe next week or the week after) then I will be happy.

I just cleaned out the back seat of the truck as much as I could. I was going to do more but heat index is 106 and I feel like I'm in a hot swamp. Actually feeling a little lightheaded right now. But its cleared and I leave at 2:15 to head out to meet a neutral place.

I sent the application in for the Carolina Dog (100 miles distant) but never heard back. I explained my situation that I need to do approval and pickup in one trip. I also pointed out that I did not want to have a three year old house/kennel dog neutered. I have never had an altered dog and have never experienced a problem situation. I didn't expect to hear from them unless they don't get other prospects.

My son got a St. Bernard/Border Collie mix with no fee other than paying for rabies shot. He was looking for that particular dog (which had lived in his neighborhood) and knew it would eventually be in the pound. They were just categorizing him as aggressive and for put-down. My son said Jack, aggressive, no way! Jack heard his name, recognized my son and became all waggles. The shelter let him go w/o even checking in.

I sent the application in for the Carolina Dog (100 miles distant) but never heard back. I explained my situation that I need to do approval and pickup in one trip. I also pointed out that I did not want to have a three year old house/kennel dog neutered. I have never had an altered dog and have never experienced a problem situation. I didn't expect to hear from them unless they don't get other prospects.

My son got a St. Bernard/Border Collie mix with no fee other than paying for rabies shot. He was looking for that particular dog (which had lived in his neighborhood) and knew it would eventually be in the pound. They were just categorizing him as aggressive and for put-down. My son said Jack, aggressive, no way! Jack heard his name, recognized my son and became all waggles. The shelter let him go w/o even checking in.

Carolina leopard dog (Catahoula)?

I had one of those, they need constant play or they will wreck your house. After that Girl, I will get literally any other Dog breed.

Carolina leopard dog (Catahoula)?

I had one of those, they need constant play or they will wreck your house. After that Girl, I will get literally any other Dog breed.
No a Carolina Dog is a native American wild dog breed found in the Savannah River Project (nuclear fuel generation site). It's also called Yaller Dog, American Dingo or Dixie Dingo.

I used to like clam chowder.

Today I picked up oil & filters and my brother's RX.
I like canned New England style clam chowder over egg noodles... can't stand Manhattan style clam chowder...
My car seemed to be using a lot of oil... then dripping oil... then oil pouring out of it... I suspected a rusted out oil filter... when I checked, the oil filter wasn't even very tight... so I changed the oil and filter... seems to have solved that problem...

I found myself yelling at my TV watching the "Balance of Terror" episode when the Romulans fired some plasma ball at Enterprise and they were running away from it in a straight line instead of just moving out of the way.
Maybe by then plasma balls are capable of tracking a target when it turns... like our current rockets can... first by heat seeking... now by radar/remote control...

Been watching a cool series called "Mysteries Of The Outdoors"... Lots of stuff you didn't think was possible, and you might just write it all off as BS. On the other hand, you might think about it. Some real weird stuff happens in National Parks...

Mowed and weed wacked yesterday, overdue by about a week. I wanted to let the clover flowers stay for as long as possible so the bees could have at it. Then later I took my eldest to the pool. I was supposed to swim 10 laps and swam 10.5. I guess the extra length was a consolation prize for not getting to lift weights.

It was a hot sunny Saturday afternoon but the pool was practically empty. Maybe everyone stayed in their houses to look at screens.

We suspended our search for a dog until we don't have to change diapers anymore.

Flyover, do you let the grass stay long, like 4"? I'm trying that this year as I have heard that's the way to go because it won't let weeds invade.

As far as Dog adoption, a great site is

https://www.rescueme.org/

I had a catahoula dog before. She was a sweetheart.

I don't like Manhattan clam chowder either. I stopped eating it bc I kept getting grains of sand or shell in mine and every time I hit that texture it would trigger a gag reflex. Not sure why.

I met with the people who want the dog and they met the dogs. The husband wanted to take them home right then but the wife freaked out because they have fleas and there was no place open on the weekend that would give flea baths and she was afraid of infesting her other dogs with fleas. I can understand. Her husband was getting annoyed with her and said she was being unreasonable with me and what she expected from me and he apologized to me but we both said we didn't want to give her anxiety. She's a bit neurotic I think. She wants me to get them tested for heartworms and she'll pay for it. She gave me $40 for gas for coming out. Husband was disappointed that the pups didn't go home with them but said he can wait until she feels more secure about it. She said even if she doesn't ultimately adopt them she wants to help pay for stuff for them. They both loved the dogs. The husband cuddled with them through the window and they were very sweet and liked him and his wife. Jelly threw up on the way there and they both threw up on the way back. Bumpy roads and all.

I really do hope they will take the dogs even if we end up paying for treatment stuff It will be worth it to get them rehomed.

After getting back from meeting them I had to take my brother to a job interview. I spent the entirety of his interview trying to find a place to park. Finally found a faraway spot, parked, and walked in just as he was finishing and coming out. Got home and nearly collapsed from exhaustion. Mom wanted food and I tagged him in to get it for her before I went and just about passed out. He reported that she had a mini tantrum because I wasn't cooking for her but once he gave her the food she got quiet and ate. She complained to me later that he didn't cut up her chicken for her. He told me he asked her if she wanted him to and she said "no". Of course, she also told him that she told me not to wake him up the other day when she was the one who sent me to wake him up. LOL.

I'm just waking up now and I want to do something productive but my body doesn't want to move.

I wanted to let the clover flowers stay for as long as possible so the bees could have at it. Then later I took my eldest to the pool. I was supposed to swim 10 laps and swam 10.5.
We suspended our search for a dog until we don't have to change diapers anymore.
I have a patch of clover about 5 feet square where the driveway meets the road so I just left it unmowed for now since the blooms looked like a flower bed. (Spell Check doesn't like that word "unmowed")
I consider the water a fun place so just splash around, horse play, dive, swim, water ski, tube, surf board, go underwater, etc... don't count anything...
I'd like to have another dog or cat, but as a single person now don't want to be tied down to taking care of them/paying for their extended care...

the wife freaked out because they have fleas
If the dogs have fleas, I suspect you and the other pets and the house have fleas... may be contributing to some of the health problems you keep mentioning...
I can tell when I'm around fleas because they find me delicious... I'll have bites all over my ankles and lower legs...

Ridding a house of fleas is no easy task. All three stages would be present; eggs, larva and fleas. The fleas jump off the host to lay eggs, the eggs hatch into larva which squirm around in the dust bedding and etc. When the larva turn into fleas they find a host and complete the circle. I guess that would be a circle of thirds rather than fifths (for the musicians out there).

Some websites claim there are fleas here, but I have never seen one on any animal. I don't know anybody that has seen them, and the Vet's office doesn't even talk about it. Most of the people I know have lived in other states like me and know what a flea infestation looks like. I'm curious about other Northern states East of N. Dakota, as there is nothing living through their winters either.

Some websites claim there are fleas here, but I have never seen one on any animal. I don't know anybody that has seen them, and the Vet's office doesn't even talk about it. Most of the people I know have lived in other states like me and know what a flea infestation looks like. I'm curious about other Northern states East of N. Dakota, as there is nothing living through their winters either.
Fleas are here in N.W. Ohio... Fleas are tough... get one between your fingers and squeeze hard as you can, you can't kill it... have to smear your fingers together while pressing... they can jump about 3 feet... they claim flee eggs can live in an abandoned house for 30 years... then when someone walks through the house the eggs sense the vibration and hatch... had about $85 in flea bombs and they didn't do anything... complained to the company and they sent my money back... said certain bombs work with certain kinds of fleas... tried one application of Black Flag bombs and that killed them off... that was about 40 years ago...

Well, you could probably draw a straight line and slice Wyoming in half. The upper part of WY rarely gets below zero, and the bottom half doesn't. I'm just basing the "No Flea" theory on the real cold winters here because that's the only variable that makes sense. It has nothing to do with Heat. When I was a kid in WA, my parents did a bug bomb once a year or so, and every Dog had fleas that I can remember.

Latest posts

Back