What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did everyone have something special for the 4th weekend? I went to a family friend and watched the neighborhood fireworks last evening.
I hope all had a good time.

I had grilled burgers with friends and as I drove home at 2130 the college fireworks display was in progress so the sky was interesting and traffic was minimal.

We took the kids to watch one parade, then they marched in a different one. I love America but hate parades. After that I worked out and then made pizza from scratch so we had an early dinner. Then, since everyone's sleep schedule has been messed up lately anyway, we took the kids to see fireworks at one of the local high schools. It was much later than two of them have ever been out, and quite a bit later than the oldest is used to being out. I don't like fireworks (I'm no fun!), but the peoplewatching was great at least. However, we left five minutes later than I requested, which cascaded into us being stuck in traffic, which cascaded into us getting home extremely late, so today we all overslept and didn't have enough time to do the activity we'd planned (exploring some caves that are about 90 minutes away). But it's okay, we figured out something else to do instead and that was fun.

I'm very sorry about your wife, Eddie. That is awful! I'm glad you still have friends around to keep you company.

I visited my friend and grabbed some groceries and didn't do anything special. I really don't celebrate holidays. It doesn't have any meaning for me.

Thus far I've refilled pet waterers, fed kitties and dogs, and cooked for Mom.

I don't think placebo effect applies to controlled experimentation
Actually, it does apply, to get around it you have to have 'double blind' experimentation wherein two groups of people both think they are getting the berries, but one group isn't. And the diagnosers/recorders also don't know which group is which, in order to see if they really worked. If there was a real statistical difference.

Actually, it does apply, to get around it you have to have 'double blind' experimentation wherein two groups of people both think they are getting the berries, but one group isn't. And the diagnosers/recorders also don't know which group is which, in order to see if they really worked. If there was a real statistical difference.
Actually it doesn't! Why would I need double blind studies to prove something that has worked for 20+ years. Double blind studies might prove probabilities that it would work in a population.

I'll just make a hypothetical comment. Anecdotal might suggest that it works for ten out of a hundred. That number might not be large enough to make market claims. But if I happened to be in that group of ten why should I worry about the other ninety?

Once there was something wrong with the product and my BP varied until the supplier replaced the product.

Usually go to my cousin's farm July 3 for a big pot luck family party and to watch the fireworks at the nearby suburb, but, like many places this year, they couldn't get the fireworks or workers or something, so that is postponed to July 8.
This city had fireworks July 2, instead of usual 4th, I didn't know that, so missed them...
State of Ohio made private fireworks freedom legal, but this Democrats-run city chose to keep them banned... no matter, sounded like a continuous war zone around here all evening...
For the past week, someone has occasionally been setting off a firework that sounds illegally large... it shakes the houses with the concussion... sounds like the dummy mortar rounds we used to get in the Army with 1/4 lb. of C4 in them... flash so bright it turns off the street lights and they have to work their way back on...

We used to like the M-80 tubes that had the fuse in the side and cherry bombs that had a hard shell. We used to shoot lit cherry bombs high into the air with a slingshot. Both of those had real fuses not paper wrapped powder. I recall some silver salutes as well.

1657066589665.png

Last edited:
Talk of fireworks reminded me of a karma story. The old man across the street raised a son who became a minister and the minister was extremely racist. The old man was racist in terms of his words and opinions but he was gentle and never wanted to hurt anyone, but his son was another story. He was missing some fingers and his mother told everyone it was from a fireworks accident. Then one day the old man admitted to me that his son had gone down to the quarters and had been throwing dynamite blasting caps at black children and one blew up too close to his hand. He was over 18 at the time so he absolutely knew better. Not sure how he got the caps-- I think from somewhere he worked.

My brother cooked some stew meat in a sauce but the sauce cooked down too much so it was too dry. It tasted good though. Needs a more substantial sauce though.

I opened a can of sliced mushrooms and Temjin stole a large piece and ate it. I didn't think she would eat raw mushroom, but she did.

A restaurant and catering service closed due to the owner dying with COVID. In divvying up some of the leftovers my buddy ended up wit a gross of wieners and a jar of sliced dill pickles. He gave me a quart of pickles. I ate about half then decided I preferred my sweet hots which were half gone. I am moving dills into the smaller sweet hot jar as space comes available and the result is good.

My wife makes cold pack pickle mix most years. They stay nice and crunchy for about a year but are still good after that. Small pickles, cauliflower, green tomatoes, and carrots. She uses banana peppers and/or japalpenos depending how hot you want them. After the pickle mix is gone we fill the jar with boiled egss. If you like pickled eggs, they are awesome.

We used to like the M-80 tubes that had the fuse in the side and cherry bombs that had a hard shell. We used to shoot lit cherry bombs high into the air with a slingshot. Both of those had real fuses not paper wrapped powder. I recall some silver salutes as well.

View attachment 28102
M80's were fun until I got one with a fast fuse. Luckily it was on the ground and I instinctively covered my ears, but I never messed around with them again... That was like Divine intervention saying "Those aren't for you"...

My wife and I spent the past Sunday cleaning up our HVAC ducts. We already have ~6x6 cuts by the system. The main duct out of the system was pretty clean, so it was a simply matter of cleaning up the registers. The return duct was very dirty and seemed to still have some pet hair. We don't have pets because my wife is allergic to cats and dogs. (And yet we had cleaned this before.)

Had to block that duct to the HVAC system and then attached a ventilator to the 6x6 opening using flexible 6" duct, cardboard and lots of tape. Then used a dryer vent cleaning push where possible to release some dust and then used the vacuum in blower mode to push it down. My wife is feeling much better from her allergies. So, if you're having allergy problems, make sure that you have cleaned your AC and vacuumed the whole place.

My wife makes cold pack pickle mix most years. They stay nice and crunchy for about a year but are still good after that. Small pickles, cauliflower, green tomatoes, and carrots. She uses banana peppers and/or japalpenos depending how hot you want them. After the pickle mix is gone we fill the jar with boiled egss. If you like pickled eggs, they are awesome.

Cold pack... Putting the food in Quart Masons with pickling spices and salt, covering with boiling water, sitting on counter for an hour, sealing, shaking and putting in the fridge?

That's what I do, don't know if it's called "Cold packing"

Cold pack... Putting the food in Quart Masons with pickling spices and salt, covering with boiling water, sitting on counter for an hour, sealing, shaking and putting in the fridge?

That's what I do, don't know if it's called "Cold packing"
Yes same process except I think she lests the brine cool first and they have to sit still on the counter for 24 hours before you move them. Basically no processing. A friend of mine also makes fermented pickles in his refrigerator. Small batch at a time. They are really good too.

My brother made a pickle press for his wife (Japanese). Basically it was like a book press with a stainless steel threaded rod. It pushed a fitted round of wood down on the pickle mix in a flat bottomed bowl. She would salt cabbage (or whatever) and press the juice out into the salt. Then after a bit unscrew the press and let the mix reabsorb the juice. I think you can buy plastic versions but I have never tried one. She didn't call it kimchi but that's essentially what she made.

Latest posts

Back