What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I caught a cold or something about a week ago and didn't work out for 5 or 6 days, then yesterday resumed weightlifting and went pretty hard, followed by eight laps at the pool. Today I am very sore and loving it.

I know what shawarma is; I am of middle eastern background, also I'm an adventurous eater anyway. My recipe idea is based on the same modification I've seen done (but never personally tried) for making gyros at home.

Well, everyone is technically Middle Eastern, but ok you win.

Well, everyone is technically Middle Eastern, but ok you win.
Hah no I was born in the middle East, my dad is from there, half my siblings live there, etc. I know the food pretty well. But I don't "win" anything, I was just trying to convince you that making your own shawarma is totally doable and you should try it.

Ps. Everyone is technically East African, I never heard the one about middle eastern.

I have never tried a gyro. Dare I risk an Arby's or should I wait until I can get a more authentic representation?

Shawarma sounds interesting. i'll have to save some of the recipe ideas. i like trying new foods. Also the shift button doesn't work while pressing i on my keyboard for some reason so it keeps coming out lowercase. i will have to clean the keyboard again.

Slept until after noon but not restfully. Got more e-mails from the person who wants to adopt the puppies. Her husband sent e-mail too. Unfortunately they live over 3 hours away. Might be worth it to rehome them though. They seem like nice people, but i was facepalming that the woman was telling me she had jimmy choo shoes and expensive stuff and then wanted me to meet at her house. maybe she doesn't know about robbers and what a bad idea that is to tell someone she doesn't know that kind of stuff. i found her address from a google search so i know where she lives. i need to warn her about that. i've suggested meeting in a neutral public place where they can bring their dogs to meet the pups. I'll have to clean out the truck-- its raining right now though so it will have to wait.

Cats have been sneezing a lot. not sure if it's allergies or if its bc i need to change the hvac filter.

Hah no I was born in the middle East, my dad is from there, half my siblings live there, etc. I know the food pretty well. But I don't "win" anything, I was just trying to convince you that making your own shawarma is totally doable and you should try it.

Ps. Everyone is technically East African, I never heard the one about middle eastern.

If you're from the Middle East, you win the Shawarma debate. If you're born in Italy, you shake your head at "Olive Garden"... I have always heard Iraq was the start of everything with Babylon, Mesopotamia, the Tigris and Euphrates etc... I have never heard East Africa. I think anywhere Date Trees are from is where it started. They are the best snack food on Earth, no debate, end of story, Shukran.

I haven't been firing on all cylinders all day... Maybe I'm turning into an Electric? I forgot to go pay the power bill, forgot to take a return to Costco, messed up cooking my Rice and Lentils, which is an utter travesty, had a weird feeling driving to and from stores, felt weird working out etc... I figured it out though, I completely forgot to drink Coffee today until 1600. That makes NO SENSE. I have had Coffee every day since I was in Junior High, almost always upon waking, been covered in dust for 2 weeks without a shower in the Army, but my crusty hands held a Coffee cup.

Maybe my body is forgetting about Coffee, which WOULD BE an utter travesty. On my cleansing diet, I'm allowed to have Black Coffee, but it's advised to cut down. Now, I always want Coffee, but a reset happens in the body when chemicals are purged. I don't want anything to do with Sugar, that is gone and it's only day 6. Don't want Pasta or Pizza or Bread of any kind, Don't want Soda etc... I do want Shawarma, but that doesn't count because it's perma.

If I started drinking Tea all the time like a Limey, I will never admit it.

You should have an Arby's, so when you have a real one, you will know how fake the Arby's is.
That's what I was afraid of! Early Arby's had beef roasting on a spit near the register. Now engineered beef roasts are cooked or heated out of view. I wonder if pink slime is in the mix?

Shawarma sounds interesting. i'll have to save some of the recipe ideas. i like trying new foods. Also the shift button doesn't work while pressing i on my keyboard for some reason so it keeps coming out lowercase. i will have to clean the keyboard again.

Slept until after noon but not restfully. Got more e-mails from the person who wants to adopt the puppies. Her husband sent e-mail too. Unfortunately they live over 3 hours away. Might be worth it to rehome them though. They seem like nice people, but i was facepalming that the woman was telling me she had jimmy choo shoes and expensive stuff and then wanted me to meet at her house. maybe she doesn't know about robbers and what a bad idea that is to tell someone she doesn't know that kind of stuff. i found her address from a google search so i know where she lives. i need to warn her about that. i've suggested meeting in a neutral public place where they can bring their dogs to meet the pups. I'll have to clean out the truck-- its raining right now though so it will have to wait.

Cats have been sneezing a lot. not sure if it's allergies or if its bc i need to change the hvac filter.

When did shoes and expensive stuff come up in the discussion about adopting Dogs?

That's what I was afraid of! Early Arby's had beef roasting on a spit near the register. Now engineered beef roasts are cooked or heated out of view. I wonder if pink slime is in the mix?

I worked there about 30 years ago, they were Rectangle Pink blobs that we put in the oven first thing in the morning 0500 or so, as the joint opened at 1000... I always wanted to cut into it to see what it was. They definitely look Alien at the start.

Beef roasting on a spit... Wow, that would be weird at an Arby's.

The local Gyro place has the spits.

Regarding gyros, you could do what spicoli suggested just for gits and shiggles, and he is probably correct that trying the Arby's version first will heighten your experience later on when you try the real thing. If it were me though I'd just go straight to the real thing.

I agree about dates, they are perfection. Medjool dates, chilled and firm. I grew up eating them but was never that fond of them, but I got reintroduced to them recently when my wife cut out processed sugar and started having me buy them for her every week.

I have always heard Iraq was the start of everything with Babylon, Mesopotamia, the Tigris and Euphrates etc... I have never heard East Africa.
I think the fertile crescent is where they say western culture started, based on the argument that this where the biblical patriarchs came from. East Africa is where the oldest human remains are found, and those of our immediate hominid predecessors.

IIRC the round roast on a spit in Arby's would date back to around 1969. I would have to drive about 30 miles or so to find authentic Greek food. That would represent around $10 in gas for RT so it may be a long time before I go that far to a restaurant. I think there is a restaurant that has gyros I'll have to ask Gus Constantine for a recommendation.

Regarding gyros, you could do what spicoli suggested just for gits and shiggles, and he is probably correct that trying the Arby's version first will heighten your experience later on when you try the real thing. If it were me though I'd just go straight to the real thing.

I agree about dates, they are perfection. Medjool dates, chilled and firm. I grew up eating them but was never that fond of them, but I got reintroduced to them recently when my wife cut out processed sugar and started having me buy them for her every week.

Yeah, that's what I get from Costco. They are from California, but the trees are from Morocco, or so they say. I have had Deglet Noor, but they aren't as good. I don't remember why.

I think the fertile crescent is where they say western culture started, based on the argument that this where the biblical patriarchs came from. East Africa is where the oldest human remains are found, and those of our immediate hominid predecessors.

Right... They were born in Iraq, but heard there was plentiful Lion hunting in Ethiopia, so they ran over to Egypt to ask where Ethiopia was, then ran there to hunt, but that was too much running so they perished.

I think this is the recipe where I heard about making gyros:

I've tried many other recipes by this guy and they are always on point so I trust him.

I wanted to be completely honest with her about the dog's behavior and I mentioned they liked to chew things- including shoes. She told me she'd had some very expensive Jimmy Choo shoes that her other dog had chewed and that she was ok with chewing behavior because she loved dogs so much. My concern is if someone is surprised by the dog's behavior and wants to dump them back or abandon them for it. But she is ok with the bad behaviors I described. But now she's got Covid so I have to wait.

heard there was plentiful Lion hunting in Ethiopia, so they ran over to Egypt to ask where Ethiopia was
I just realized, this comment has an extra layer of historical accuracy that isn't a joke: Historic vs Present Geographical Distribution of Lions

Lions survived in parts of Mesopotamia and Syria until the middle of the 19th century.
By the late 19th century, they had been eradicated in Turkey. They survived much longer in Persia, where the last pride of five was hunted as recently as 1963.

This surprised me; I thought lions had been gone from the middle east for thousands of years.

Y'all...... if my last post wasn't enough for you regarding my mom. You may, or may not, be shocked about what happened next. Although, I am now at the port of reporting the facility. So I am not going to post currently. Until I know what steps to take next. This isnt going to be pretty.
I will say, she is back in my facility in the ICU.

Latest posts

Back