What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mushed up Vegetable thing.

I probably had Hummus in Iraq, but only remember 18 Metric tons of Rice. Maybe I'll try it this Winter when I'm bored.

Entirely in the crock pot... I don't do Ribs on the BBQ, nothing charred for me... Just cut a slab in half, put it in with a little water or ACV, spices and Sauce... Those 14000 videos will probably say the same thing.

Brickseek can be great, I got several things over the years, like 75 reams of printer paper for 25 cents each... I have no idea what I was thinking, and I now have 73 reams of printer paper left.

If you see something at Walmart for $49.99 discounted on the site to $4.99, write down the UPC / description / Item number etc. and go find it. It will probably be $49.99 in the store, take it to the computer department register or whatever and have them price check it.
Tofu is soy beans mushed and formed into bricks. I don't know what else they add to it to make it stay in bricks, but it doesn't taste good.

Hummus is not like that. It has a chickpea flavor, but also the other very flavorful ingredients I mentioned. (Some people also add cumin; I do not.) It is hard to find good hummus in the US unless you go into an Arab- or Israeli-owned deli/restaurant, or make it yourself. The "Sabra" brand stuff you find in the supermarket, that people dip carrots into (heresy!), isn't an objectionable food I guess, but it shouldn't be confused with real hummus.

I like char on my ribs, a little "bark" on the edges, etc. I might do them in the crock pot the way you describe if the goal was to pull out the bones and make pulled pork, but I don't really like pulled pork. (Buzz, I've heard that eating too much char can be carcinogenic, but I'm pretty sure a little isn't. Humans have been eating charred food since we tamed fire, and maybe long before that!)

If I can find an item for $4.99 on Brickseek that's 10x as much at Walmart, why should I step into a Walmart? I must have missed your point, Spicoli.

@Flyover How do you store hummus? Or maybe yours is consumed so fast there's no need to. One thing about my small batches is that if I goof it's a small mistake.

Ruh-roh while I was posting Buzz has started another attack on Jesus. I guess he's on another "making people aware" mission. Too bad it spoils the forum for others (who might otherwise actually like him).

Last edited:
@Eddie_T I store my hummus in tupperware-type containers. (I have a large glass one with a tight-fitting lid that I typically use for hummus.) But yeah it's usually gone in a few days. I can't imagine it lasting longer than a week. But honestly, give me a bag of decent pita and I will have no trouble getting rid of a gallon of it in that amount of time just by myself.

The historicity of Jesus is actually an interesting topic. Unfortunately it often generates more heat than light when people approach it with their convictions pushed along in front of them.

(Buzz, I've heard that eating too much char can be carcinogenic, but I'm pretty sure a little isn't. Humans have been eating charred food since we tamed fire, and maybe long before that!)

If I can find an item for $4.99 on Brickseek that's 10x as much at Walmart, why should I step into a Walmart? I must have missed your point, Spicoli.
And humans have been getting cancer just as long... although not as often as today... since with modern medicine many more people live long enough to get cancer...
I've ordered stuff off Facebook claiming to be Walmart and Lowes closeouts at great prices... but the products never arrived... they just take you money... fortunately, I paid via PayPal and got my money back easily... for some reason, PayPal won't admit those sellers are scam artists though... I suppose a certain percentage of people don't ask for their money back, so the scammers get to keep that money... so they're happy... and PayPal got their cut...

Last edited:
I've heard that but don't know of anyone getting cancer from charbroiling. However that may only be because prices force moderation.
Speaking of prices, the beef short ribs I got the other day and slow cooked in foil were $8.50/lb... and basically half bone... but still a delicious occasional taste treat... didn't have to worry about storing them in foil, they were all grabbed and eaten the instant I unwrapped them...

I went to brickseek and checked on one item just for kicks. It says it's available at 39% of Walmart stores. I tried to check inventory at my store and the radio button didn't work (maybe only with prime). I wasn't going to drive 28 miles RT to find out. Maybe I'll pick an tiem the next time I go to Walmart just for a reliability check.

Was just reading in NYTimes about retirees leaving Florida and this caught my eye:
"They had no homeowner’s insurance; their policy was canceled in June because of the age of their mobile home, a 1978 model." So they got nothing... just a shoebox of saved momentos left... car destroyed... moved north to their daughters home...
Article said mostly older people were killed by the hurricane...
Still haven't been able to contact my 74 year old high school buddy around Ft. Myers area... I assume still alive, but no power, no cell phone service towers working... don't know if his condo still standing... part of a golf course residential complex... I assume built after hurricane building standards began...

Last edited:
@Spicoli43 believe it or not..... I am STILL going through things on the screened in back porch. Most of what I put out there i had already gone through, I just hadn't made a pile of items out back. I have plastics, woods, electronics, cardboard. My daughter has several things of jewelry to go through and I need to go through just a few others as mentioned.

I have set a few things aside to let set dor a few days. If I still want them in a few days, I will keep them.... but so far I haven't kept much. Maybe 25 items all together out of either her room or the stuff on the porch. I posted pics a long time ago of the contents. Its a 10x20 and 8 foot ceilings, and was packed with just a walkway open.
I cleaned the inside a lot today... motivated to get rid of tons of stuff (mine).
Larry is out there working now. I am waiting on the electrician person. Hopefully he doesn't forget. Although if he does, I can relax a bit.

My puppy over vomited earlier, he seems to be feeling ok now though.

@zannej the rangehood had been installed for 3 days i think, (maybe only 2) the light was on on it, the fan was off. It is ventless though. Idk, I would like to turn the breaker back on though. You don't realize how much air a ceiling fan moves until you can't use it.

I am very tired today. I cleaned on the house for 7 hours today, thats just dumb. I need to have my canister vacuum looked out, the power head doesn't seem to want to work consistently... maybe I will youtube a couple of videos about it. See what I find.

How many towels would you say you guys own? I have 1.2 million it seems for 2 people (most of the time). I probably have 15ish? I'll have to count.
I feel like it's ridiculous, yet I use them for lots of things other than traditional usage... spills on the floor, bath mat, dry off dogs when they come in from being outside when it is raining.

Anyways, I hope you all have a very blessed evening.... even those of you who don't want to, lol.

Shan, the perennially correct answer to your towel question is "when it's time to do laundry, I seem to own nothing but towels. But when I need a towel, I can't find a single one in the goddamn house."

we were approached by a guy that was homeless pushing his shopping cart with all his belongings... We get talking, he lost his family a couple of years back, his Mom & Dad, and brother and sisters in a bad car accident... Seemed like a really nice guy... He told me he was in jail for stealing and told me he smokes. but not into the really bad drugs... I told him my wife and I were talking about taking in a homeless person for the winter and trying to help them get back on his feet...
You have to be careful, these junkies can seem nice in the daytime... and be very deceptive... but when they run out of drugs in the middle of the night they turn from Jekyll to Hyde and can rob you blind or murder you and take over your home...

I can give you my brother's phone number and you can ask him... he liked it so well he asked me how I cooked it... and he's a hunter who eats all kinds of critters...
I cook with aluminum foil, but then discard it... don't store food in foil because after a while hold the foil up to light and it looks like the stars in the sky with all the holes in it from the aluminum dissolving out and falling onto your food. And, yes, the only place aluminum is found in the human body is in the nodule lumps in the brains of Alzheimer's victims... And have to wonder if MONEY is coloring the results of studies of this...
https://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/guide/controversial-claims-risk-factors
Then why cook with it?

Tofu is soy beans mushed and formed into bricks. I don't know what else they add to it to make it stay in bricks, but it doesn't taste good.

Hummus is not like that. It has a chickpea flavor, but also the other very flavorful ingredients I mentioned. (Some people also add cumin; I do not.) It is hard to find good hummus in the US unless you go into an Arab- or Israeli-owned deli/restaurant, or make it yourself. The "Sabra" brand stuff you find in the supermarket, that people dip carrots into (heresy!), isn't an objectionable food I guess, but it shouldn't be confused with real hummus.

I like char on my ribs, a little "bark" on the edges, etc. I might do them in the crock pot the way you describe if the goal was to pull out the bones and make pulled pork, but I don't really like pulled pork. (Buzz, I've heard that eating too much char can be carcinogenic, but I'm pretty sure a little isn't. Humans have been eating charred food since we tamed fire, and maybe long before that!)

Tofu is like Spam to me... Not to be used for anything besides launching out of a cannon. I use a little Cumin in Chili, but it can kill a recipe real quick.

Thanks for the info on Sabra, I didn't know if it was legit or not.

If the Brickseek page says it's $4.99, and Walmart in store has it at $49.99, have somebody do a price check to make sure it's $4.99

I went to brickseek and checked on one item just for kicks. It says it's available at 39% of Walmart stores. I tried to check inventory at my store and the radio button didn't work (maybe only with prime). I wasn't going to drive 28 miles RT to find out. Maybe I'll pick an tiem the next time I go to Walmart just for a reliability check.
That's what I'm doing today... Going to Walmart to check an Instant Pot that's supposed to be $49 and Canned Tomatoes that are supposed to be 25 cents. Both say they don't know if they are in stock, but that the store carries them.

Shan, it's good you're getting organized and cleaning. Don't do 7 hours and then be zonked for 3 days though.. Try just a couple of hours a day and keep doing that, or even an hour.

I have 10-12 towels, there MUST be towels for other people, MY TOWELS are like my Toothbrush... NO TOUCHIE!

The main issue with aluminum foil, and the same with aluminum cookware, is to not cook reactive foods in it. Stuff with tomatos like pasta sauce or BQ sauce, stuff with lemon or vinigar, anything that lowers the pH. Aluminum is very reactive the lower the pH goes. Boil potatoes in an aluminum pan, no issue. But meats simply seasoned and cooked wrapped in foil should not introduce anything into the food from foil.

As for chard foods, yea they're not supposed to be good for you. Just frying food isn't good, it's the browning that's the problem. There are chemical called acrylamides that are formed when food browns, the darker it gets the more is formed. They are considered carcinogenic. We did a bunch of testing in a snack food plant for work to reduce acrylamide formation in tortilla chips and corn chips by manipulating the pH. It was mildly successful but was not adopted. They were preparing for pending regulation on acrylamide levels. Big surprise it was California leading the way on the regulations. I happen to like the dark chips you find in a bag. There is a regional company here that makes a bag of chips that are all dark. They are great but I suspect you could never sell them in California.

Spicoli, I must not have paid careful attention when I clicked on Brickseek. So it's not a website you can buy things off of directly? It just alerts you to when stores have lowered prices on items, so you can rush over there and purchase them from the stores? That would be much less valuable to me.

Spicoli, I must not have paid careful attention when I clicked on Brickseek. So it's not a website you can buy things off of directly? It just alerts you to when stores have lowered prices on items, so you can rush over there and purchase them from the stores? That would be much less valuable to me.
No alerts that I know of, you have to manually search. As far as buying from them, no...

They are a discount listing site that is also an affiliate. There are In store only and Online only deals, and a combo of both depending on the product...

Up top right is "Products" search... Searching for whatever will show you some items, maybe discounted, maybe not.

The same search has a dropdown for "Deals" that will show you discounted items.

If it's online at blank retailer, it should be the same discounted price, and you buy it like any other online purchase.

If it's in store, it probably has the non discounted price when you get there, so you have to have an employee price check it before you go pay.

Back