What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the Brickseek page says it's $4.99, and Walmart in store has it at $49.99, have somebody do a price check to make sure it's $4.99
Couple years ago a friend told me Big Lots was having a 75% off sale and $85 Little Giant fibreglas 6 foot step ladders were included, so I got one for $21 and he decided to get a 2nd one, as well...

Couple years ago a friend told me Big Lots was having a 75% off sale and $85 Little Giant fibreglas 6 foot step ladders were included, so I got one for $21 and he decided to get a 2nd one, as well...
I get Big Lots 20% off coupons every day in email. The only thing I want is their furniture, but can't get it with my Terrorist Cats. They do have good Glass food storage, they have lasted a few years with no problems.

I was invited to a Sukkot meal with three generations of a Norge family. The host prepared a superb bread pudding for dessert. Turns out they had a surplus of frozen buttered croissants which were used rather than leftover bread. Her hubby works in recycling and apparently a local bakery freezes leftover croissants and gives them to the recycle center employees. Win-win.

I get Big Lots 20% off coupons every day in email. The only thing I want is their furniture, but can't get it with my Terrorist Cats. They do have good Glass food storage, they have lasted a few years with no problems.
I used to be in Big Lots a couple times a week... but they went down the Kmart road and no longer sell most of the things I used to buy... such as guns, ammo, bows/arrows, SCUBA diving equipment, tools, ladders, natural gas ventless heaters, woodburning stoves, boating supplies, etc...

I used to be in Big Lots a couple times a week... but they went down the Kmart road and no longer sell most of the things I used to buy... such as guns, ammo, bows/arrows, SCUBA diving equipment, tools, ladders, natural gas ventless heaters, woodburning stoves, boating supplies, etc...
But since the stuff you buy has changed (and you no longer apparently live in a lakefront cabin in the mountains), maybe it's now re-aligned with what Big Lots sells! 😆

But since the stuff you buy has changed (and you no longer apparently live in a lakefront cabin in the mountains), maybe it's now re-aligned with what Big Lots sells! 😆
LOL! I've re-aligned my buying to other stores and online now... just like I and lots of people did from now defunct Kmart...

Last edited:
Big Lots ... The only thing I want is their furniture, but can't get it with my Terrorist Cats.
Local Stormin' Norman flea market guy took over the manufacturing from now defunct local Banner Mattress and Furniture Co., so been buying from him... just got a good deal on a great new soft queen size mattress to replace the collapsing broken spring stabbing ancient piece of junk I had been using... checked Big Lots but they were $100-200 more for similar quality... other stores even higher...

Well, technically that was before Woke was a saying. He couldn't choose Romney or McCain either, that was the downfall of the GOP with the selection of those idiots.

Well, technically that was before Woke was a saying. He couldn't choose Romney or McCain either, that was the downfall of the GOP with the selection of those idiots.
Whoa boy... Just saw more insanity:

"Smart (electric) meter companies were caught secretly handing over data to law enforcement"
.​

"PayPal is still threatening to fine users $2,500 for promoting "intolerance that is discriminatory" " (based on woke craziness of what is intolerable... such as telling the truth...)​

Shan, I hope you get the electrical sorted out and figure out what was causing the smell.
Tofu is disgusting!
Thanks for the explanation on the ribs!
I eat pork chops but I cook them in the air fryer. I put butter & garlic salt on them. My brother likes to cover his in panko.

I miss Big Lots. We used to have one an hour away but it shut down.

I've been watching videos on wiring and how to trace things back to the correct breaker. Looking at the diagrams my father drew in the 80s it looks like we have a lot of things on single breakers. Got lots of breakers and only two are 15A. Rest are 20A and above. Found out from watching one of the videos that I have SquareD QO type of breakers. I discussed it with my friend, showed him the diagrams and marked which outlets/lights aren't working. So, he thinks he knows where the break might be. A switch or outlet somewhere in the front room. Possibly the closet with the bifold doors that we can't get open. And the knob came off the other door that we could use to reach over and push on the bifold doors.

I got up & cleaned the hallway (dogs have been crapping in the hallway instead of using puppy pads or going outside). Also cleaned up in the living room. My brother injured his rotator cuff and deltoid so he won't be taking out trash or helping with it at all for who knows how long. Not that he was taking stuff out before the injury, but he was at least helping a little.

I need to get up and get some more water but I'm tired.

I made ribs again. Baby back this time, because that's what they had. Spice rub, oven at 250 for three hours, only this time I didn't cut them apart. Sauced'em and grilled. (Also grilled chipotle chicken and chicken shishtawook. I always grill more than one thing at a time if I can!) They fell apart in two places when I flipped them. We didn't eat them tonight (ate the chipotle chicken in quesadillas) but I did get a taste here and there, recovering bits of meat that fell off. Extremely tasty.

I do ribs a lot. I do them different ways. My basic method is remove the membrane, rub with mustard, apply rub, (I usually make my own in batches) then wrap in foil. In the oven 275 F for 3 to 3-1/2 hours then brown up and sauce (my wife makes her own) on the grill. I leave them as a slab rather than cut them up. I like the idea of cutting them up though, more browning, have to try that flyover. My favorite way is 2 hours on the green egg to smoke then wrap in peach paper and back in the egg for a 2 or 3 hours, 250 F. I still put them on the grill to brown and sauce. Usually 30 minutes or so. Sometimes we'll do the whole process in the oven. Just remove from the foil or peach paper and suace them up on the sheet pan and crank the heat up.
I prefer baby back but sometimes do a spare or St. Louis. BTW a St Louis cut is a spare rib with the bottom cut of to square up the rack a bit. Makes it cook a little more evenly. The baby backs are the first cut off the spine and the spare rib is the cut off the bottom of the baby back.

You have to be careful, these junkies can seem nice in the daytime... and be very deceptive... but when they run out of drugs in the middle of the night they turn from Jekyll to Hyde and can rob you blind or murder you and take over your home...

Oh boy... this news article just popped up in my emails... homeowner found in his freezer:
https://www.theblaze.com/news/chicago-landlord-dismembered-suspect-arrested
Well, the guy never called, nor never saw him at the park since... But did get a weird text on my phone on Sunday afternoon... Started what's up Bro, and I replied "who is this?" then they replied 69, and I replied "Huh" they then texted they were the black guy I met, and they wanted to buy the Oxys... I played stupid and typed "Huh" and then they typed they think they got the wrong #, and that was it... Never heard back from them... Very strange, cuz the guy I met that day was white... So I dunno...

Today after seeing my chronic pain doctor in Ottawa, I went and picked up my 2 cement window sills, so now have the brick next week I am going to that brick job where they took that bay window out...

Also, very happy Hockey is back... My team the Sens starts the season tomorrow against Buffalo... and Saturday against Toronto... Go SENS Go!!!

@zannej I really hope YOU begin to feel better soon...

Ok Ladies and Gents...
Cheers~

Redneck, sounds like your number got passed around and the White guy told the Black guy you have the hookup because he was all jacked up when you met him, and now you have to change your phone number or get calls in the middle of the night.

It sucks, but a majority of people that "need" help are just looking to score these days. I gave 2 small propane tanks to a guy outside Walmart one year in the dead of Winter, that's what he wanted, reasonable request. I watched him walk into Walmart and walk out with nothing, so he returned them without a receipt, which gets him half the value... Do that 10 times, get Drugs...

Then I gave $20 to a guy and went to park, searching for a spot, and watched him walk to a Lexus... Oh, this will be interesting, he's going to try to jack it... Nope, presses the remote button, gets in and drives off... A Freaking Lexus...

From then on, no money, no goods... If they really look like they need help, I'll offer to get them food. Most people look like they could work Construction all day, so they don't get anything.

Good Morning! My work week starts in a bit, thought I would hop on see what everyone has been up to.

Surprise, surprise..... the electrician never showed up. Instartwd to call him yesterday, but do inreally want to deal with someone who can't keep there qord? NOPE, I absolutely DO NOT!

I rearranged stuff in the backyard yesterday so that my neighbors didn't have to look at all the plastic stuff in the backyard.
Larry worked on the weeds and such yesterday, it is starting to shape up nicely. We talked about the dumpster yesterday and he said that he was proposing that instead of a dumpster, he would haul it off. So, that would ben great! It would help me out and he could make some extra money also. Plus.... he's dependable.

I may try to take some pictures of the back yard before I leave and post them.

@Spicoli43 I probably shouldn't work for hours and hours on end. I am just always afraid that the next day I will not feel well enough to get things done. I am hoping to be able to slow down in the next couple of months, because I am tired. I just need my house to be in better order and less like a pauper lives here.... Hopefully THEN, I can slow down.

I will say that it has been a little weird to walk into rooms the past 2 days and they are clean. Mind you, not perfect, but not cluttered and nonsensical.

Anyways, Hopefully everyone has a good day!

Back