What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday evening I went to church and heard a friend speak about her three months in the hospital with COVID (much of it in ICU). She had so many blood transfusions (around 100) that she joked that she may no longer be Norwegian. She was in so long that the staff became like family and her room became a spiritual haven when they could spare some moments away from their duties. She was upbeat and positive about the whole experience. I think she plans to write a booklet about it. If she does a friend will publish it.
Yes, Covid is a bad deal. It makes me mad that they are playing around with more deadly strands in Boston. They say it’s technically not “Gain of Function” because it’s no stronger than the original Covid but it’s on a more transmissible Spike Protein vehicle. They say their research is to help combat the next pandemic but researchers have been studying Covid for a couple decades now and it certainly didn’t help with the last pandemic. It’s seems as if they knew next to nothing about it when Covid-19 broke out.

Doctors and junkies call that uncontrollable shaking The DT's... Delirium Tremens... and the quick cure is another drink... or, sure, a 6 pack... then it takes a 7 pack... then an 8 pack... and on and on...
No, that doesn't exist for Alcohol. People can walk their way down from a 6 pack to a 5 to a 4 until they are done. The first day, they are cured by the 6 pack and then they gently wean themselves off it.

I was fortunate I could easily start/stop smoking so I finally just stopped due to a combination of price and inconvenience. I never drank enough for it to become problem and have never tried weed or stronger.
Yeah, I smoked for a few years, quit with 4 minutes left in 1999, gave my last cig to someone else because I wouldn't be able to finish it before 2000. I quit chewing cold turkey also, and quit drinking whenever I wanted to. Weed was always if I had money and the bills were paid, but it was never a thing. I never felt the need to buy it myself, just paid others for half of theirs.

Yeah, I smoked for a few years, quit with 4 minutes left in 1999, gave my last cig to someone else because I wouldn't be able to finish it before 2000. I quit chewing cold turkey also, and quit drinking whenever I wanted to.
I quit drinking in 1995 when I realized that if I continue, I'd end up living in a van down by the river. Now my sobriety is old enough to drink.

I usually take flack for this tip but here goes nothing. Sunday evening I scraped my right arm just above the wrist bone while tucking my shirt in. I think the zipper did it. To keep it from bleeding on my shirt I put turmeric on it to stop bleeding and covered it with a bandaid. Today I took the bandaid off and it hadn't healed so I blotted it and sprayed with hairspray (poor man's NewSkin) to dry it up.

Sunday evening I went to church and heard a friend speak about her three months in the hospital with COVID (much of it in ICU). She had so many blood transfusions (around 100) that she joked that she may no longer be Norwegian.
I assume your friend had other health problems as well that made it harder for her to deal with the flu.
And as one hospital admitted, once they put "Covid" on the chart, that's an extra $35,000.00 for the hospital...

I usually take flack for this tip but here goes nothing. Sunday evening I scraped my right arm just above the wrist bone while tucking my shirt in. I think the zipper did it. To keep it from bleeding on my shirt I put turmeric on it to stop bleeding and covered it with a bandaid. Today I took the bandaid off and it hadn't healed so I blotted it and sprayed with hairspray (poor man's NewSkin) to dry it up.
Use Cayenne the next time. I was luckily wearing sunglasses one day when a home brew beer bottle exploded in my hand, the glass went everywhere, part of it hit my eye that was protected, and it gashed me below the eye and on the nose. I put a towel to it, but it was gushing... I closed my eye and put a good amount of Cayenne on it, covered it with a rag and drove to the VA.

They cleaned it up, blood had stopped by the time I got there, about 10 minutes... The Doc asked if I wanted stitches, and I said no because I knew I didn't need them... Which leads to a previous story...

I cut my finger real deep on a shard of glass that was glued to a Sobe bottle. I had heard about Cayenne's powers before that, and did the same thing. I covered it with a rag and sat down to watch TV. It took about an Hour for the adrenaline to wear off and I started feeling the pain. I washed it out and could peel the wound apart to see it was real deep.

More Cayenne on, covered with a band aid... This time there was no burn because it had sealed itself. The next day I replaced the bandage with no Cayenne, the next day I took it off and the wound was just a thin White line... The next day it was rapidly fading away.

Now, I have no idea which finger it was, and you would have to be uncomfortably close to me to see the cut that was under my eye.

From what I read, the old pyrex, corningware, and corelle may contain lead on the outside but not inside.

How do you make apple butter? I've heard of it but have no idea what it is. Is it a form of jam?

If there is any moisture in the area, I wouldn't recommend OSB. It's also not terribly rigid or strong and has more spring to it. I know plywood is more expensive, but its a better option for strengthening the floor. But then, I hate OSB and MDF.

My friend is going to come over tomorrow after work to see if he can troubleshoot the problem with the AC.
I have one old Corelle plate that is kinda my favorite to use for everything, guess I'll have to check into that possibility of lead... I thought it was just some mixture of glass and plastic...
A town around here has an Apple Butter Festival. Kind of a cooked down apples jam.

Yeah, I prefer plywood... once the glue layer gets old it's still 'wood'... the other stuff just swells up or falls apart once the glue disintegrates...
I read that the new A/C capacitors from Asia only last a year or two... not like the old USA ones...

Since we can't get mercurochrome or merthiolate any more, I got a big bottle of Johnson&Johnson First Aid liquid (about $3.50 at Walmart) and it seems to work good as a replacement. It's clear and doesn't stain things. Kills germs and eliminates pain/itch, speeds up healing. I use it for all kinds of things. Sometimes put it on and just put some kind of tape over it. For bites, soak a pad of toilet paper or something and cover it with tape so it doesn't dry out. Or soak the pad on a band aid.

Last edited:
I guess apple butter doesn't have enough pectin to make jam no matter how long it is cooked. I love apple butter and home baked biscuits. You can simulate apple butter by adding sugar and spices and re-cooking it but (although delicious) it's not quite the same.

People can walk their way down from a 6 pack to a 5 to a 4 until they are done. The first day, they are cured by the 6 pack and then they gently wean themselves off it.
First they have to really WANT TO QUIT THEIR ADDICTION... Most pretend to want to quit only after being busted for a crime... they go through an expensive program paid for by the Govt./taxpayers to please a court and avoid jail... after that, they pick the addiction right back up again... and the vicious cycle starts over again...
In the old days before welfare/S.S., the 'town drunk' usually wasn't that stoned 24/7/365... unless he had a private 'enablor' or was royalty... he had to still maintain a job to support himself for most of the day/week...

Shan, you should get a Giant roll of bubble wrap from ebay and a bunch of free Priority Mail boxes from the PO and list the dishes on Ebay...
While the boxes may be free, doesn't it cost at least $10 to mail them? Actually, I thought you had to buy the boxes.
Facebook Market Place used to be a good place to sell stuff quickly and locally and for free. Can often times sell stuff to a local person in a couple hours.

Got an email from my missing friend in Florida but it doesn't look real, looks to be an advertisement for the airport being back open, like they commandeered his email account...
I responded to it to see if I got something that looks personal back.

My post regarding my skin scrape was misunderstood. I guess TMI on my part. My tip was that for scrapes where skin is removed hair spray is a good New Skin substitute to dry it up.

Back