What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to make some more potatoes in white sauce. I like them much better than mashed potatoes. Also a good to make with new red potatoes.

Try the red potatoes with butter, garlic and Rosemary. Good stuff!

I think there is such a thing as blue potatoes but I've never tried them. I think my uncle grows them up in Virginia.
My nap didn't last too long but I feel better after it. Body is still sore all over but I know it could be worse.

Potatoes and white sauce sound good.

Yeah. I took my car in for an Airbag recall and they were happy to give me a list of stuff that needed to be done... Oil change and Transmission fluid change... $175 or something like that...

2 Bolts.

Watch me, and report if you see any sweating.
So how much to you figure you save changing your own oil and tranny fluid? I quit changing oil a long time ago. By the time I buy oil and filter there is very little savings. I figured my time was worth a lot more than the few bucks I saved. Also do you change your transmission filter? You have to drop the pan for that I believe, more than 2 bolts.

I don't have a lift and I hate crawling around under cars. Did it too much in my youth when I had to to save a buck.

Welcome Mike. What type of roofs are your specialty?
I would have to say, as an individual roofer, that torching flat roofs is my specialty and the most enjoyable type of roofing for me. As a roofing company in Miami we specialize in residential roofing, roof repairs and maintenance including roof coating applications on flat roofs. We're doing a lot of metal roofs these days. I really can't see why anyone would want a tile roof in South Florida right now when there's a 6-8 month wait for concrete tile delivery and the prices are not all that far apart. Clay tile is just as high as metal.

Attachments

• roofer-mike-torching-ruberoid.JPG
    roofer-mike-torching-ruberoid.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
I don't have any automatic trannies and always purchased whatever motor oil I could find on sale. That's not so easy to do anymore but I saved a bundle over the years and never had to waste any time scheduling and waiting on service. I also kept the used oil for use as bar oil. A drain valve would make it even easier.

Last edited:
So how much to you figure you save changing your own oil and tranny fluid? I quit changing oil a long time ago. By the time I buy oil and filter there is very little savings. I figured my time was worth a lot more than the few bucks I saved. Also do you change your transmission filter? You have to drop the pan for that I believe, more than 2 bolts.

I don't have a lift and I hate crawling around under cars. Did it too much in my youth when I had to to save a buck.
I don't compare, but think just the oil change is $39.99 most places. I haven't replaced my Transmission fluid or filter on the current car, but the quote I was talking about didn't include that. It's just an inline filter.

I change my own oil mainly on principle: I know how good a job I did (unlike an unseen mechanic), I get satisfaction from it, and it's a useful skill which can be forgotten (not "like riding a bike"). How will I teach my kids to do it If I've forgotten how? If I save $4 fine but these days money's not the main reason.

Speaking of drain valves, the mechanics who fixed my oil leak (it was the drain pan--I'm guessing I ruptured it going over a curb on a business trip a couple weeks ago in a moment where I was entering a gas station with the sun in my eyes and cars pulling out in the incoming direction) destroyed my Valve-o-max while removing the drain pan. I'm debating whether to get another. It was convenient, but was it  that convenient? I dunno.

Havasu, your range gear sounds like it'd fit in the back of a golf cart. You really keep (maintain, insure, etc.) a whole separate truck just for taking to the range?

You can forget how to do an oil change? It's One bolt and a filter.
Well, I guess I've never forgotten so I'm not sure if it's possible to forget. It just seems like one of those things I might forget. Maybe I'm confusing with brake pad changes, where you have to remember to do things in a certain order...

Autozone has a plug with a rubber stopper (for $4.99) that stays engaged until you tug it out but I don't know if it fits my car.

1671564672125.png

I change my own oil mainly on principle: I know how good a job I did (unlike an unseen mechanic), I get satisfaction from it, and it's a useful skill which can be forgotten (not "like riding a bike"). How will I teach my kids to do it If I've forgotten how? If I save $4 fine but these days money's not the main reason.

Havasu, your range gear sounds like it'd fit in the back of a golf cart. You really keep (maintain, insure, etc.) a whole separate truck just for taking to the range?
The (6) 2x4's, the (12) 1x2's, the required fire shovel, (6) 2x4 cardboard, (30) paper targets, the (6) 2'x2' metal stands, the (6) ar500 pie plates, the (6) pie plate holders weighs about 700 pounds. Since the range is 15 miles away, where I cross a creek, and up a dirt road a mile, is a bit much for my golf carts.

Well, I guess I've never forgotten so I'm not sure if it's possible to forget. It just seems like one of those things I might forget. Maybe I'm confusing with brake pad changes, where you have to remember to do things in a certain order...
Well, Brakes are different by vehicle, same general concept though. I like my car better than my truck since the car takes around 5 minutes per side, not including jacking up.

I have my car at the dealer right now for a 6 qt synthetic blend Dextros, rotate tires, filter, gasket, and a 100 point inspection, for $89. Sure, they will probably say I need tire air change, snd spark plug rotation (jk) but with 20k on it, I'll decline everything.

I have my car at the dealer right now for a 6 qt synthetic blend Dextros, rotate tires, filter, gasket, and a 100 point inspection, for $89. Sure, they will probably say I need tire air change, snd spark plug rotation (jk) but with 20k on it, I'll decline everything.
Huh? How much is just the tire rotation? What is the gasket?

Bill was $86.89. Tire rotation was free. Gasket is for the oil pan. They also got rid of the locking lug nuts for me since they were a PITA.

The (6) 2x4's, the (12) 1x2's, the required fire shovel, (6) 2x4 cardboard, (30) paper targets, the (6) 2'x2' metal stands, the (6) ar500 pie plates, the (6) pie plate holders weighs about 700 pounds. Since the range is 15 miles away, where I cross a creek, and up a dirt road a mile, is a bit much for my golf carts.
Hah, wow. Did you know when you got into shooting that you'd have to buy a whole truck just to lug the gear? 🤣

I can't really complain since all the targets were given to me. I did buy a $300 shed for them, but don't use it since I bought the shell for the truck.

Latest posts

Back