What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the Mr Cool ad said
Oh man, I misread this at first as "The Mr. Kool-aid Ad" and thought "the only thing I remember that ad saying was OHHHH YEAHHH"

I did not get good sleep last night (damn toddler sleep regression grumble grumble) so today I woke up as a zombie, but I drank twice my normal coffee ration (i.e. I drank two cups) and now am lifting weights like a good boy.

Shan, the Zicam seems to have worked. How many miracle drugs are there? If we include Zicam, which this experience inclines me to think we should, then I can think of two. Three if we also count coffee. But I don't know my medications, since I've hardly ever been prescribed any. Surely others here will suggest additional candidates.

I installed a mini split that had a flexible line set. The lines came pre=charged and connected to the inside unit and I just plugged in and latched to the outdoor unit . The lines were too long so I made a housing the coil the extra in. Between it and a PTHP we were able to cool and dehumidify a 2400 ft² house. For heat the mini did about 1200 ft² and we augmented the rest with baseboard electric. The PTHP would switch to electric only at 40° but the mini would go right on down.

Shan, the Zicam seems to have worked. How many miracle drugs are there? If we include Zicam, which this experience inclines me to think we should, then I can think of two. Three if we also count coffee. But I don't know my medications, since I've hardly ever been prescribed any. Surely others here will suggest additional candidates.
Zicam is 99% garbage ingredients with a Homeopathic Zinc coating.

The coloring that is needed because the stomach doesn't like plain White, absolutely refuses to accept anything that isn't colored, is made from Coal Tar.

The Magnesium Stearate interferes with the body's T Cells.

Natural Flavors could be anything including the Anal fluid from a Beaver's Democrat Mascot.

Then there's Sugar.

Then there's Sucralose, AKA Splenda, the "New" Aspartame like artificial sweetener along with Ace-K that probably causes Cancer... Do you need to consume a ton of it? Maybe, nobody knows because it's a grand experiment like everything else.

Homeopathy is great, get the Boiron pellets or just plain old Zinc with no additives and Vitamin C as Ascorbic Acid or the better version such as Camu Camu or Acerola Cherry.

Can I take plain old zinc as an inhalant? Zicam works, and I assume part of the reason is how fast you get it into your bloodstream by snorting it in each nostril.

I never noticed any coloring; the tip of the bottle never shows a coloring. Maybe you're thinking of some other version that's taken orally? I'm using the nasal spray.

In what doses will magnesium stearate infere with my t-cells? I take Zicam 2 puffs in each nostril 3 times a day for 2 days, and this is the second time in my life I've ever used it. If I use it 4 times a year, that's 96 puffs total but really 24 doses spread out over a year. How much magnesium stearate is that, and is it a high enough concentration to do anything, especially considering I'm otherwise very healthy?

They do give Zicam a minty smell. I don't have the bottle in front of me but it'd be weird to use something harder to get than mint oil or teatree oil, which is what it smells like. Even if it's a beaver secretion that fact alone does not bother me. Nor am I bothered by the fact that red 40 is made from bugs. One of my favorite meats is octopus, which grosses out some people. I like when I'm driving and catch a whiff of skunk from down the road, I find it pleasant. Don't care that I'm literally inhaling molecules from a skunk's rear end.

Sugar though, that crosses a line. If they put sugar in an inhalant that is ridiculous and I'm gonna sit right down and write my congressman.

I was taking about the rapid melts. The other ingredients in the inhalant are as bad or worse. There is Zinc mouth sprays with no harmful additives, but most people don't have any idea about the additives because they don't research anything. To each their own.

Well lucky for me, Spicoli, I had been using a bottle of Zicam my wife had, but decided to buy my own, and when I got home discovered that I'd bought the wrong one (the one for allergies) so I have to return it anyway, so I'll look for a zinc spray next time instead. Thanks for the tip.

Trane company essentially told me to pound sand and that I'd have to talk to an authorized Trane dealer in my area. There aren't any in my area. I think there is one in the entire state and its over an hour & 30min away. I did call that place and talked to them & the lady was very nice. She said they can have the info I need by next week and that they can sell me the compressor or condenser but that they can't install it as I'm too far away. I've messaged the AC repairguy that came out and let him know. Said that if he's willing to install it, I can buy it from the other place. If he won't do it, I can try again to contact the guy who installed my current system. I know Trane uses Climatuff compressors but I don't know which model works with my unit. I gave the lady the model numbers and serial numbers. I also let the last guy who came out know that having incompatible furnace and condenser can cause a fire (something I didn't know until I looked it up).

So, after Mom was doing a crap job of communicating again, I went to the store (apparently the local walmart doesn't do curbside pickups on Fridays or weekends). Grabbed a food storage container and a bunch of different rice options for mom. She chose the coconut jasmine rice. I forgot to ask her if it was any good.

I was hoping to get my friend to cut some wood for me tomorrow but it's his late dad's birthday and he wants to spend the day mourning. I can understand that. I can still get the wood I want tomorrow. Might see if he'd let me borrow his miter saw briefly tomorrow. Otherwise, I can wait until sunday. If I can find a manual handsaw I can cut the 1x2s.

He checks the Black box... Just like Pete the "Transportation Secretary" checks the Gay box, and the "Press Secretary" checks the Gay and Black box... And the Nuclear guy checks the Gay Transgender box... And the new "Supreme Court Justice" checks the Black box but doesn't know the definition of a Woman.

I have an idea... Let's REFUSE to hire qualified people and instead pander to all the "oppressed" groups that aren't actually oppressed at all...

What did I do today.... let's see...
Worked 12 busy hours, thought I was gonna be tossed over the edge a couple of times coming over that stupid bridge that terrifies me at times because of wind gusts..... and then find this.... the building is the one that i wanted to get rid of.... it actually flew into the neighbors backyard once the 4x4s on the fence broke... so my son and i rolled it back over into the yard and trampled it, then he added weights to it to keep it in place.

i. Hoping to do a quick repair of the fence in the morning before i go to work. I only have 1x2s and those 3x3ish lawn edge things.... i was thinking if i screwed one into each side of the 4x4 it might help hold it up till next week.
20230303_231342.jpg20230303_231348.jpg

Spicoli, to me that looks like an inevitable outcome of the incessant tribal framings people put on things. When people narrativize reality in terms of group identity this is what we get. You can't just be qualified or unqualified for a position, you have to be gay or black or trans or liberal or conservative or one eyed one horned flying purple people eating because that's what matters and everyone's keeping score using those identity markers as the points system.

There's a context where things like a person's race or sexual preferences are worth tallying, but that context is completely academic. Like if I wanted to study the demographics of a place to learn if some pattern existed there that might be explained by a phenomenon I was hypothesizing.

But outside that context, tallying that stuff is worse than pointless. It's needlessly divisive, not to mention lowering the quality of one's thinking. This is a big part of why I refuse to participate in these stupid tribal narratives.

But outside that context, tallying that stuff is worse than pointless. It's needlessly divisive, not to mention lowering the quality of one's thinking. This is a big part of why I refuse to participate in these stupid tribal narratives.
Yet you write 3 paragraphs about it... Almost nobody in their positions is qualified. That's 100% true. The press secretary has NO ABILITY to answer questions, even the Liberal press rips her; The Nuclear Transgender guy is a serial luggage thief that only got fired because it was proven; The Transportation Secretary is named "Pothole Pete" because he couldn't even take care of that as Mayor of a City of 100K, much less the entire nation; The Supreme Court Justice LITERALLY COULDN'T SAY WHAT A WOMAN IS...

I get it, you're not a Fighter, you're a follower. That's fine, but even hard core Liberals have started to fight.

There's nothing "TRIBAL" about pointing out FACTS, especially when lots of people on the Left are saying it as well. Most of the links on this page are from Liberal sources... You are the only person in the History of political talk that I have seen that calls it "Tribal"...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=democrats+think+country+headed+in+wrong+direction&t=brave&ia=web

Shan, good luck... I have to replace a chunk of fence that size as well. Remember before pouring concrete, the outside temp has to be at least 50 degrees 24/7... Don't do it now and think it will set.

Shan, good luck... I have to replace a chunk of fence that size as well. Remember before pouring concrete, the outside temp has to be at least 50 degrees 24/7... Don't do it now and think it will set.
Yes. That's why I wanted to try temporary things for now. The neighbor is actually the one that built it. I just wanted to do something temporary so my dogs could play outside and potty independent of a leash. She also has dogs, so that's another reason. She said this morning that her dad was coming over today, so hopefully he can fix it at least temporarily... if not, I will tomorrow when I am off

Spicoli, based on what you wrote in response to me I don't think you understood what I said. That's fine, others here do get it. I've said my piece.

Spicoli, based on what you wrote in response to me I don't think you understood what I said. That's fine, others here do get it. I've said my piece.
I do know what you said, the first paragraph has nothing to do with us. It has 100% to do with the current admin that insists on checking boxes. It has nothing to do with Republican / Democrat voters. Most Democrat voters agree with me, that's evidenced by the plunging ratings for everything the Liberals put out, especially the News. I wouldn't care if my prospective employee was 1/3 Black, 1/3 Pink and 1/3 Yellow, identified as a Man and Woman and prayed to a Lake God. I don't care, as long as they could do the job. The ONE qualification to run blank department is skipped every time in this admin.

The third paragraph where you talk about tallying is correct, but there is no need to tally because every single one of their heads of a department or prospective like the FAA nominee check at least one "social narrative" box... As far as divisive, that's what the admin wants, more importantly that's what the world leaders want. That's why I have never said I'm a Republican or Democrat. Both parties are worthless servants to the CCP now. There is a small handful of Republicans that get it.

Today I took an old fluorescent light fixture that I'd removed from one of the bedrooms, wired it up with the power chord from the microwave I disassembled, and now I have a plug-in grow light my wife can use to get her tomato and cucumber seeds started in the basement. We had bad luck with those veggies last year and this year she decided to start them indoors.

Then I drilled the string-through holes in my dummy guitar body, installed the back ferrules and the bridge, and strung it up. Man, it plays perfectly and feels great! I couldn't believe it. I didn't even need to intonate it (at least it sounded close enough), somehow I'd drilled the bridge post holes in exactly the right spot.

It's funny, building a table or a set of shelves or something, you don't get a satisfying first strum! This is in another league.

I decided not to cut grooves to recess the ferrule holes, even though they look cool (as in the Godin Flat Five). And I definitely need top ferrules; the high e string is already biting like 1/4" into the body. But because I don't like the look of top ferrules I'm going to try to find some really small washers or maybe some hollow lock-set screws to use instead and flush-mount them.

Shan, sorry your building blew away and messed up the fence. Glad you got it pinned down for now and hope the fence can be repaired quickly.

I got up early, organized my tools, found the old blades for my reciprocating saw and jigsaw to take to the store for comparison. Got some better brand versions that are new and picked up some lumber. Grabbed mail as well. Govt still hasn't sent my mom the forms she needs to file her taxes & she's getting irritated.

It was nice and cold last night so I slept better but it is warming up again. I may have to find a new AC repair guy bc I'm not trusting the one who came out. He keeps trying to push an off-brand condenser unit and swears it will work fine with what I have inside. Everything I've researched says otherwise. I don't even want to have less efficiency (which is the best case scenario) but I absolutely will not risk a house fire over stuff being incompatible. Last message he sent was that the company that sells Trane is extremely expensive. I think he want to make a sale of his own. So, I might have to keep trying to get the original installer back to see if he can still get Trane brand. IF the sob will actually answer the damn phone or return my calls.

Latest posts

Back