What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to attack the mirrors and lights today but Ruby decided she wants a tile accent wall there.

6C6E0AB6-0C54-4934-9405-1E5E313EE745.jpeg

She chose the tile on the right.

AADEC31B-03F8-4296-9FB5-7B52975F25D0.jpeg

I’m going to install the tile vertically from the vanity to the ceiling.

These are the Pfister faucets. I prefer the single handle ones but the vanity came pre-drilled with 3 holes for each sink.

2B6DEC91-A1D6-48AB-94AC-41D723C23A45.jpeg

Ruby saw this bathroom set online this morning and said, "That's hideous!" I said we should get it and give it to somebody for Christmas!
My kids would love it. I think if you want to add a lot of color to your bathroom there are definitely worse ways to do it!

My biggest problem with it isn't how it looks, but rather the "branded experience" aspect. You know how some people have all Hello Kitty everything or all Batman everything or all Dallas Cowboys everything etc. It reminds me of that. Lego isn't paying me so as much as I liked the toys as a kid, and as much as my kids like them now, why should I make my bathroom into a Lego advertisement.

I goofed and ran out of hawthorn berry supplement again so I am sipping hibiscus tea hoping it will moderate my blood pressure until a new supply arrives.

The colors as displayed in that bath set strain my eyes. I think it's because the eye can't focus on red and blue at the same time.

Ron, that looks cool. I got a Pfister faucet to install. It's similar to the AquaSource one I have now but the faucet part is taller. I like my current one but the porcelain handle on the hot keeps coming loose and I have to keep tightening it. Plus I prefer taller faucets.

I was looking at stuff online for bathrooms and this came across as "related". LOL. I'm tempted to get the shower curtain rings with the octopi dangling down. Doesn't remotely fit the theme of my bathroom, but my dad loved octopi. Used to have a guild in World of Warcraft called Octopussies but someone complained and reported the name as offensive so it got changed to Octopi.
1678113850089.png

I made shepherd's pie after midnight and also worked on my bathroom a bit more. Added some paint stirring sticks as shims and another 1x4 to my wall. Trying to get it to be plumb. Worst case I can still use the composite shims once I get the plastic up and put on the cementboard. I'll get pics of that later.

I had a cedar fence in my last house in California. When it came time to replace it, I used galvanized posts that I hammered into the ground using a post driver. An 8 foot post driven into the ground 2’ is really strong and won’t rust or rot. I built a chain link fence here in Alabama for the dog run and didn’t use concrete on either project. Both have held up excellent. A post driven 2’ into the dirt is sturdy even without concrete. They have metal pole to wood brackets to hang your wood rails on and then mail the pockets back on. In most cases, you can reuse the old rails and pockets because it’s the posts that rot and then break in the wind.
Yep, that's what me and the neighbor did on a 200 ft. rebuild, all Steel posts reinforced with concrete. It's never falling down again.

I like verdigris and oiled bronze yet have neither in my house.

Zannej, octopi (and cephalopods in general)  are really cool. They are curious, inventive, playful, and intelligent, with strong memories despite their short lifespans. They can change colors like no other creature yet they are colorblind. There's a great book about them called "Other Minds" that I highly recommend: Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness: Godfrey-Smith, Peter: 9780374227760: Amazon.com: Books

Plus on top of all those remarkable traits they are also delicious.

LOL. My dad actually got a master's degree in Invertebrate Zoology. I helped him with his final project (compiling a list of extant and extinct invertebrates). He bought a bunch of books from an estate sale and at one point had a larger collection of books on invertebrates than the Smithsonian Institute had. He had a pet octopus in college and was one of the first people to take photos of octopus eggs hatching-- but he didn't submit the images to be credited as the first. He helped the marine bio unit at University of Guam identify an unknown species of octopi. We used to go to an aquarium that had cuttlefish and I would make hand gestures at them to get reactions. They turned read if I quickly moved my hand forward and spread my fingers out. If I held up two fingers and crossed them, they would hold up two tentacles and cross them as well.

I remember a story about a scientist who wanted to see how smart an octopus was by seeing if it could figure out how to get shrimp out of a bottle. First time he put the shrimp inside the bottle without a cap. In short time it figured out it could reach inside and get the shrimp. Then he put a cork in it. The octopus figured out how to remove the cork and got the shrimp. The next time the scientist opened the fridge to get the shrimp out and when he went to put the shrimp inside the bottle, the octopus was already inside the bottle waiting (apparently he left it in the tank for the octopus to play with). And that one reminds me about a study with bees. They put food out for bees (not sure exactly what) and had it in the same place for awhile but then moved it a certain distance away. The bees took some time to find it. They kept moving it farther away incrementally and one day the bees were waiting at the next location because they figured out the pattern.

My dad used to hide food between his fingers and stick his hand in the tank. Bonny (his pet octopus) would search between his fingers and get all of the food and liked to cling to his hand sometimes.

I'm trying to get up the motivation to go to Samsclub. Worked on my bathroom a little bit more. I'm going to shim a bit more and then if its not perfect, worst case I will be able to make up for it with thinset. LOL.

Doctors conference today with Dr. Thomas Levy and Dr. Russell Jaffe... Mainly on Vitamin C and Magnesium...

-All disease is oxidation, basically the cells rusting... Vitamin C is a potent anti-oxidant. People don't consume near enough C.

-The best form of C is Liposomal, but it's insanely expensive and not really a viable option for most. The very close second best is via an IV, but unless you find a Functional Medicine MD, you aren't finding it... The best available to everyone is Ascorbic Acid.

-DO NOT use the Calcium Ascorbate version, as Calcium is highly toxic at above minimal levels > DO NOT take Calcium supplements > DO cut down Dairy to almost none or none.

-Only exception to the Calcium rule is for people that have a peculiar metabolic disease, for the average Joe or Jane, only Calcium from food is needed.

-People's guts might be sensitive to Ascorbic Acid because of the acid, so a better form for them is Sodium Ascorbate. Forget the Sodium part, it has nothing to do with raising BP.

-Sodium Ascorbate is the same thing as the IV, but the IV obviously skips the digestive system and goes straight to the Lymphatic system

-Ascorbic Acid is sour, easy for me to consume. One of the other forms tasted incredibly horrible, forget which, so I stick with Ascorbic.

-Taking too much Vitamin C is akin to eating too much healthy food. It doesn't exist.

-The higher you maintain levels of C, the healthier you stay. ALL the cells operate on C. It's their fuel.

-Get the powdered version of C, NOT the capsules or tablets or chewables. All 3 are expensive and who wants to chew up 20 tablets or swallow 20 capsules?

-There is no correlation in high C consumption with the development of Kidney Stones. There is correlation with high doses of C dissolving Kidney Stones (Harvard study)

-Kidney failure is a different topic. Those with KF need to watch their intake, work with their Dr.

-A Kidney Stone is Calcium Oxylate. To rid self of stones, decrease Calcium, get rid of supplementation, bring Dairy to near zero. I assume he was talking about Cow milk products and not Eggs, but he didn't branch out.

-Take C in the morning before food, couple hours at least. When first determining your level needed, you can't go anywhere that day since it's bowel tolerance. Take 2-3 grams every 15 minutes until you gotta hit the porcelain. Keep track of how many grams it takes, repeat that the next day you don't have to go anywhere, your new daily requirement for C is 50-75% of the bowel tolerance level, divided in 2 doses or sip on it in a Non Plastic glass throughout the day.

-Optimal intake of C eliminates sugar cravings in most people.

-I get my Ascorbic Acid from Bulk Supplements, but buy it from Walmart since the free shipping threshold is lower there than at Bulk Supplements' own website.

-Something you need to work with a Functional Medicine provider for... Toxic Heavy Metal removal... A Magnesium deficiency results in accumulation of metals. Enhancing the uptake of Magnesium with Choline Citrate allows the C to wrap around the water soluble heavy metals and eject them from the body while skipping the Kidneys. DO NOT USE any "Heavy Metals Detox" kit, as they REDISTRIBUTE metals, making everything worse. Don't use Choline Bitartrate, it will not work. Again, you really want to work with a Functional Provider for Heavy Metal removal, as it can Radio Edit you up real quick if you DIY.

-If you have 1 can of Soda with HFCS, you have Fatty Liver for a few days. If you have a can a day for a week, you have Fatty Liver for Months. Your Liver does not want to accumulate fat... Water and Herbal teas are it's friends.

-In the 12000 Hours of Medical training that Dr. Jaffe had, 4 hours was on nutrition, and that was a book report. Going to the conventionally trained MD for nutrition is the same thing as going to an Auto mechanic for Heart disease.

"The duty and responsibility of a modern physician is to convince consumers to never take pharmaceuticals"- Sir William Osler, helped found Johns Hopkins

"If you took the entire pharmaceutical pharmacopeia and put it in a great steamer trunk and threw it in the Ocean, it would be all the better for the patients and all the worser for the fishes"- Oliver Wendell Holmes

It's just not my day. Chromebook order was apparently lost by FedEx between origin and login. The seller sent me an e-gift card and I had to reorder. My Coleman LED lanterns arrived yesterday the D cells (from ebay) were out for delivery all day today then showed as being picked up at the PO. Instead of waiting to see if the rural carrier screwed up and closed it out when she got back to the PO. I got antsy and filed an online claim which should be waiting in the Postmaster's inbox when he/she arrives in the morning.

Ron, I love that you'll have that easy access from behind. Unless you drywall over it, which I hope you don't.

I ordered a few hardware parts for my DIY guitar today and listed my old one for sale (it's a cheap Ibanez that was my first ever guitar, bought almost a quarter-century ago!). I'm not sentimental about it. Like I said, I don't have GAS for guitar stuff.

Forgot to mention: back on Saturday I also installed a bee house near the garden. It's the kind with hollow twigs stacked sideways inside with their ends open to the air, to attract pollinator bees. I screwed a plank of cedar horizontally above it to act as an overhang. Hopefully our cucumbers this summer won't be spherical like last year's, and we'll get a lot of tomatoes.

Zannej, that's cool about your dad. Just from being around him you probably know more about cephalopods than I do then. That explains why you worked in a zoo too. You've had an interesting life, but you hide it most of the time.

I went to Samsclub to get a bunch of stuff. I got my brother to haul out a heavy trash bag that I had pulled out of the trash can (as it was overflowing again) as we were heading out. He tripped over trash and a desk of his that is unassembled sitting in the front room. As he was coming out the door he started lecturing me saying "This is unacceptable! There's too much stuff on the floor and too much of a bottleneck!" I figured he would have a tantrum & go back inside and refuse to go with me if I said what I was really thinking-- which was "Then you should try picking it up instead of b***ing about it! You have two hands!" Ugh. He didn't directly come out & say he was blaming me, but I know he was. What I find unacceptable is that he's 43 years old and still hasn't figured out how to pick up after himself or do the ONE chore he's responsible for in the house. The only other thing he is supposed to do is help with water cases-- which he hadn't been doing for months & only started helping when the doctor told me not to do any heavy lifting.

I took a nap and was having a bizarre dream when I heard the intercom thing on the phone beeping. In my dream I was wondering how it could be beeping when I was using the phone. Then I woke up. Mom was hungry. LOL. Orange chicken and fried rice.

Just wondering, haven't seen a Geico Lizard commercial in a long time... Hope the old guy wasn't turned into a pencil grip or something.

Back