What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My DIL brought fresh fruit and chocolate hummus for Easter. It was different. It's chickpea based, has tahini, coco powder, some sea salt and vanilla extract. Not really sweet, tastes sort of like brownie batter. 1681181778957974252137141058018.jpg

Many. thanks, my fertile (and disrespectful) mind is already spinning (or should I say blending)‽

Someone found the car for me . Prizm, 11K miles $5000. But it's 28 driving hours away in AZ and has an auto tranny.

1681184849078.png

Last edited:
Someone found the car for me . Prizm, 11K miles $5000. But it's 28 driving hours away in AZ and has an auto tranny.
I do that too sometimes...finding beautifully preserved late-1980s manual Tercels and Corollas out west, daydreaming about taking a one-way flight out there and driving back in one...I really should remember to include that option next time I'm doing serious car shopping. The cost of the flight/gas/hotel(s) and registration hassle might well still be way lower than buying a newer used car here.

11k miles for $5k??? That's a good deal. All that car needs is for it's maintenance to be caught up and it'll be like having a brand new car!

I once bought a pickup in Idaho and it took me 3 days to drive it home... thru the mountains! It was a nice drive and a great deal financially counting in the one way plane ticket to Idaho

I would buy that Prism, doesn't matter the distance. Get a couple of Hotels along the way and you're good. As far as a manual transmission, I don't think they really exist anymore, so you can't pick and choose based on that. I have one manual and I'm never selling it. I'll be buried in it before I sell it.

I'm going to cut my love for Coffee that has existed since Junior High, possibly earlier. I have always had High BP in the 140's, but am going to do an experiment with energy inducing Adaptogenic Herbs like Ashwaganda, Chlorella, Ginseng, Rhodiola and Spirulina. I'll never completely quit Coffee, but this experiment will be a Month long. I can't change anything else like Salt consumption.

If my BP drops miraculously to 110, I'll know exactly why. I will then drink my normal 30 ounce and check my BP later in the day.

I actually get a few dollars back from the IRS. I didn't analyze what has changed but my income was up due to an IRA RMD jump so it was a surprise. I try to work my withholding such that I owe a couple of hundred but not enough for a penalty or estimated payments.

The sad thing is that my income is going up due to dividends and IRA RMD while on paper my assets are diminishing due to the market. Actually it's all on paper as I spend less than my annuity since I don't have car or house payments. I guess my Prizm was a wise choice as IIRC my only failure has been a clutch master cylinder some 10-15 years ago.

Last edited:
If the Prizm is still available, please PM me as I need a good used car for one of our grandkids

I just checked and it's gone. I checked because IIRC it said it had new belts including the timing belt. I guess they replaced it due to age. There was another one in Pittsburgh with 32K miles and a manual tranny but I was concerned that it might have rust underneath due to road salt. It's gone too.

Cars from Arizona would be OK... from Pennsylvania, not so much unless you just need it for parts and it's very cheap

Cars from Arizona would be OK... from Pennsylvania, not so much unless you just need it for parts and it's very cheap
Exactly, that's why when I'm fantasizing about this stuff, in the fantasy I have a long lost elderly relative who wants to gift me a manual 87 Tercel Wagovan. This relative was the first and sole owner, always kept the car pampered in a garage except on summer weekend afternoons when he'd take it out to go do whatever kinds of super-practical stuff an old man does on summer weekend afternoon.

I know many that were scammed out of thousands of $. Bottom line, if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

If it's too good to be true... it probably isn't too good to be true?

I always heard that the other way around clueless-scratching.gif

Lol. Now you got me wondering!?
Regardless, there are many pics of clean vehicles on the internet that people drop good money to reserve it, only to find out that vehicle is actually owned by someone else not involved in the scam.

The great thing about the Prizm is that most people think it's out of style. For me it's perfect and great visibility. It's just that most have too many miles on them.

Yep, it's best to drive older vehicles... that way nobody thinks you have any money!

I accidentally made some Coconut Curry rice the other day. I had the Carrots, Celery, Garlic and Onion in the Instant Pot on Saute, the Tomato and Coconut Milk cans opened, the Broth poured into a measuring cup, and the spices in a bowl. I then figured out I didn't have any Lentils that had been soaked and cooked.

So, I added 2 Cups of Rice instead, and figured I would need 3 total cups of Broth. I was right, as the 7 minute pressure combined with the 10 minute countdown before I manually released the pressure vaporized all the liquid. The Lentils version of course doesn't vaporize the liquid.

I'm going to make it right tonight, but I'm going to saute the vegetables on the stove first.

I like the Rice version, but when compared to the Lentil version, it's just not my cup of soup.

I know many that were scammed out of thousands of $. Bottom line, if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't.
I guess you can buy used cars off Craigslist and take a small risk of getting scammed, or buy from dealerships and be absolutely sure you get scammed.

I guess you can buy used cars off Craigslist and take a small risk of getting scammed, or buy from dealerships and be absolutely sure you get scammed.
HAHA no doubt. If I ever consider a dealer again, I will make sure to inconvenience them by paying for a full inspection from a mechanic that takes 3 hours.

Latest posts

Back